SPORT 15 Best Helm Steering System

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Surfhunter

SPORT 15 Best Helm Steering System

Postby Surfhunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:14 pm

I’m thinking [the best steering for a SPORT 15 will be the TeleFlex model] 3.0 No Feed Back or NFB.

I could be swayed to Baystar. [The SPORT 15 engine is a Yamaha] F70.

[Do readers have] any recommendations?

Is a 10-foot-long cable best for the mechanical systems?

dtmackey

Re: Best steering system for 15 sport

Postby dtmackey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 am

I contemplated the same thing on my 15-footer with Yamaha 70.

I just love how hydraulic feels on larger boats--smooth with no slop. I'm going to try the NFB steering that came with my boat. My friend's 15-footer with a 60 Yamaha has NFB system. It feels fine, but not as good as a Baystar would. The NFB also looks like a cleaner installation, with less hardware and hoses on the motor, so I guess it's the $200 or $600 question.

"Best" may bring a variety of opinions, but for feel, accuracy and ease of steering, I'd say hydraulic will give the best performance.

D-

Surfhunter

Re: SPORT 15 Best Helm Steering System

Postby Surfhunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 am

[W]hile a pain to fill [and] bleed, I’m actually thinking the [hydraulic] rigging will be cleaner since the lines are flexible and can wrap inside the [transom] corner.

It seems the [No-Feed-Back or NFB] will feel more sporty since it can be purchased in three-turns lock-to-lock. I love the feel of my old school [T]eleflex mechanical steering, but I feel it is dangerous if someone lets go of the wheel. I’ve seen it happen. I’m willing to give up feel for the NFB for this reason.

After putting so much time into the mahogany, I’m even wondering if a back mount is the way to go. At minimum I’d like to replace the cheap plastic bezel on the Teleflex mechanical systems.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:51 am

Fill and bleed is a one time thing on Baystar install and you should not have to do this again if the system is set up properly. Teleflex fluid is expensive and there are aviation fluids that meet higher criteria and are less expensive.

I agree that the push/pull systems that are not NFB are a safety risk and if the wheel is not gripped, it can spin to one side - dangerous. The 3.0 would feel sporty, but with the 3.0 turns to lock the mechanical advantage is lessened requiring more input. The NFBs also seem to have more friction built into the system.

There's another system out there by Uflex that is comparable to Teleflex. I purchased one of their hydraulic helm units when my Teleflex helm unit failed and installed on my larger boat. Form fit and function is the same as Teleflex and at the time it was much less expensive, 6 years later and it still functions like new. May want to take a look at their offerings as well.

Uflex mechanical systems have (what I feel are) better designs and I'd give them consideration if going mechanical steering. Just make sure it's offered in an NFB design.

https://youtu.be/Xs-tYV0eNvg

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:19 pm

DTMACKAY--many thanks for the link to that VERY interesting recorded presentation about the U-Flex mechanical steering helm system.

The last time I was at a major trade-show (not open to public) for marine suppliers, U-Flex was there with a very big display. I found their gear to be very attractive--both in appearance and in engineering.

I believe that U-Flex is the OEM for the Mercury VERADO steering systems that employ multiple 300-HP (or higher) engines.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Surfhunter--how big is the boat's engine?

I have an Evinrude 48-HP on my 15-footer. I use the simple, original, Safe-T Teleflex steering. I can take my hands off the steering wheel at WOT, the wheel stays put, and boat tracks straight.

The reason: I have carefully adjusted the trim tab on the engine lower unit so that there is no torque steer at WOT. Because of that, there is a little [torque steer] at 5-MPH-zone speed, but at that speed it is acceptable.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Love my NFB Teleflex on my 15 with the 60HP Mercury.
I can let go of the steering wheel any time at any throttle (not that I recommend doing that, but I can).
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot