Cutting out rigging tube on 1999 Alert 17

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Whal

Cutting out rigging tube on 1999 Alert 17

Postby Whal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm

I am in the process of converting my 1999 Alert 17 from a side console to a center console.

I started at the back and cut out the rigging tube in the sump and it went great.

Next I went to the front where there is a rectangular mark on the deck where the front of the rigging tube is supposed to be and about 1 inch inside the smooth part of the rectangle I cut a 2 inch square with a dremmel and pulled the square out and there it was FOAM.

Next I took a piece of hose and ran it in through the rear of the rigging tube towards the front. I hit a blockage and pulled the hose out and tried it again with the same result so I measured the hose and found out the blockage was 4 inches short of the rear end of the rectangular spot marked on the deck.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Hopefully someone has done this before and can give me some guidance.

I already have 1 hole in the deck to fix and I don't want any more! Thanks

Whal

Re: Cutting out rigging tube on 1999 Alert 17

Postby Whal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Just to clarify my 1999 Alert 17 being a side console from the factory never had the rigging tube opened up like a center console does. All the rigging was run down the starboard side behind the side rail.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am

Alan - Let me know if my suggestion does not make sense.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am

My first thought: contact Boston Whaler Commercial and Government Products and inquire about embedded reinforcements in the hull of the ALERT 17.

Also, when drilling the hole in the inner hull foam for the rigging tube, you must have encountered the same obstruction that now blocks the installation of the hose.

Whal

Postby Whal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Update on the rigging tube on my 1999 Alert 17.

This morning I found the front opening of the rigging tube, it was at the very back of the marked rectangle on the deck where the center console sits.

It is not a finished sump like in the back of the boat instead it comes to the deck surface via a 45 degree elbow and only at the rear 4 inches of the marked rectangle.

Also it was packed solid with foam for about 8 inches, I hope that is all of that foam I will ever have to remove ( good stuff ).

I ended up throwing caution to the wind and just cut out the whole rectangle to find it so I have a small spot on the deck to fix but it will be under the console so all in all not too bad

Now I can move on with my conversion from side console to center console.

I hope to get the inside and the outside of the hull painted within the next 2 weeks

This commercial hull is built like a tank,I was concerned there was some damage under the rub rail from hard dockings it had in it's prior life but it is just as solid as when it left the factory in 1999.

Thanks to all who helped.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:45 pm

If you leave an opening on the deck for access to the rigging tunnel, you should surround the opening with a dam wall. Boston Whaler typically installed a light-weight plastic escutcheon around openings into the deck in order to prevent water running along the deck from flowing into the rigging tunnel. You could make an escutcheon or dam from some wood pieces. If you coat the wood with WEST System epoxy resin it will be completely water-tight. You can then bed it onto the deck and use small self-tapping screws to fasten it in place. Or inquire if such a molded escutcheon is available as a part from Boston Whaler at a reasonable price. Or use some ultra-high-molecular-weight plastic like KING StarBoard to make the escutcheon. With special adhesive you can bond KING Starboard.

Whal

Postby Whal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks Jim, sounds like a good idea to me I will do that.

FISHNFF

Postby FISHNFF » Fri May 04, 2018 9:45 pm

I had a 1998 Alert [with] tiller steering [that was] converted to a Montauk/Guardian by Boston Whaler. If I remember correctly, they did not add a rigging tube sleeve and dam, but instead glassed it to prevent water entering through the foam. I don’t have the boat anymore so I found not say for sure.

As far as water entering the tunnel, if water didn’t enter from under the console, it would eventually at the stern. Same tunnel. Two openings.

FISHNFF

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun May 06, 2018 11:05 am

FISHNFF wrote:If I remember correctly, [Boston Whaler] did not add a rigging tube sleeve and dam, but instead glassed it to prevent water entering through the foam.

FISH--I don't understand what "it" refers to in your comment above. Please elaborate. Thanks

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I have owned FISHNFF/Brian's former Alert 17 since early 2011. It was center console when he sold it to me, and looks pretty factory. I can say that I re-rigged it through the tunnel (due to some mouse damage) and there were no barriers to fishing (pun intended) transducer and trim tab wires, and the considerably less flexible hydraulic steering hoses, up and back through the tunnel.

If there's anything else I can look at for you, let me know.

-Peter