1975 SPORT 15 Rigging Guide

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
SouthEast15

1975 SPORT 15 Rigging Guide

Postby SouthEast15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi gang--newbie here. I had a 15 growing up in Michigan as a kid and am now living in Ft. Lauderdale.

I picked up a 1975 SPORT 15 with an original 70 Evinrude. I am in the process of outboard shopping. I am looking for a late 1990’s or early 2000 Yamaha 70-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine. The 90-HP versions are easier to find.

I plan on rigging 1975 SPORT 15 boat myself at my shop where I have a chain hoist and tools. I plan on getting new controls, harness, and cables.

Having never done this before, is there a good do-it-yourself article for re-power and re-rigging?

I will post pics soon. Thanks.

jimh

Re: 1975 SPORT Rigging Guide

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 am

The classic Yamaha 70 and 90 are not versions of the same engine. The 90 has a larger displacement block than the 70.

The Boston Whaler Owner's Manual for a SPORT 15 is available in the REFERENCE section of the website. It gives some specific information about engine rigging. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual9-17/operations.html#engineInstallation

General advice about re-power: do not exceed the hull's rated maximum power. Give significant thought to engine weight if planning to re-power with an engine that is much heavier than the engines in use at the time the hull was designed.

In your case, if re-powering with a classic Yamaha 70, weight should not be a problem. Horsepower should not be a problem.

The owner's manual for an outboard engine should give some advice on its rigging and installation, but probably not in great detail.

Evinrude has some great rigging guide literature that might be useful for you. Of course, they are not specific to the outboard engine you are going to buy in the future--unless you buy an E-TEC--but they can offer you some general advice that could be quite valuable. See

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Oper ... 5%20EN.pdf

I have no idea if Yamaha has a similar publication, and if they do, if it is available for download for no charge. Contact a Yamaha dealer to see if there is a similar installation and rigging guide for the engine you plan to buy in the future.

I am surprised you have a 1975 SPORT 15. I was under the impression the model was introduced as a 1976 model. (The 1976 catalogue says "New this year....)

What is the hull identification number (HIN) on your boat hull? If the HIN indicates a model year 1975, I will revise my reference articles to conform with that date.

SouthEast15

Re: 1975 SPORT 15 Rigging Guide

Postby SouthEast15 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Thank you for the info and links I will look them over. Maybe it’s not a sport but it definitely is a 15 and is a 1975. I am not too knowledgeable on the different versions of the 15. It has a super simple console with full beam bench seat and another full beam bench seat just fwd of the console. I will check the ID # tomorrow.

dtmackey

Re: 1975 SPORT 15 Rigging Guide

Postby dtmackey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:26 pm

I removed an Evinrude 60 from my 15 Whaler and installing a 2 stroke Yamaha 70. I removed and built a new interior as well. Once you have the controls and rigging, the install is pretty straightforward. It's be 2 - 3 months before I install the motor and I will detail in my thread.

D-