17 Update / Paint Question

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
LadyDi

17 Update / Paint Question

Postby LadyDi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:45 pm

I’m updating my 76 and considering painting Hull a “custom “ color to match our other (bigger) boat. It’s grey. Think that’s a bad idea or strictly preference?

Also thinking the interior we go to Whaler blue. Was that only used on 13 ie I’m getting further into making unique?

Looking for some feedback. It’s unlikely I’ll ever re-sell but also don’t want to make it goofy looking.

Thanks

Dutchman

Re: 17 Update / Paint Question

Postby Dutchman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm

I assume you are talking about a 1976 Montauk 17' Boston Whaler and if you never plan on selling it why not give it the color you like. My wife never like(s) the older Whalers as they didn't offer topside colors like they do now.
Personally I don't know if I would like the lack of contrast between the grey topsides and the light blue interior, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you aren't looking for resale. Put some Interlux on it and see how she looks.
Post a picture when you are done next the the 'mother' ship.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Mattwarner

Re: 17 Update / Paint Question

Postby Mattwarner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 am

I am in the process of painting my 79 Montauk (Desert Tan) and using Interlux Perfection. As you cannot get an exact color match I went for "Oyster White" which was nearest to the original color and it shouldn't look obvious that its non original.

Had I been braver I would have gone for a contrasting color but figured I could always re-do the hull sides in say yellow or teal.

If you are going to paint I would recommend not skimping on the paint, it maybe expensive but I think using a 2 part like Perfection is the way to go and also having done the console the finish is superb (looks sprayed)
Attachments
IMG-20180205-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20180205-WA0000.jpg (162.7 KiB) Viewed 2647 times