Paint Color Codes for Johnson Outboards

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mb159

Paint Color Codes for Johnson Outboards

Postby mb159 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm

I have a 2001 Johnson 90 HP Ocean Pro that is white in color. It is faded and I want to repaint. Anyone know whether there is a paint code as part of the serial number? If not, is there another way to identify?

dtmackey

Re: Paint Color Codes for Johnson Outboards

Postby dtmackey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Paint code is not in the SN#. Take the cowl to an autobody supply and if there's a glossy flat area, they use a color analyzer and match the paint pretty darn close or use the color chip book. I've had them do this on numerous projects and it's always close. For Johnson or Evinrude white, I have them mix acrylic enamel in a whiter color since the OEM color is a "dirty" white. I've never been a fan of Johnson or Evinrude paint and find that it caulks up quick and doesn't last that long compared to other paints.

Here's my Etec 250 I did and when removing the side covers all the paint was flaking off... I sandblasted, painted with Zinc chromate etch primer followed with epoxy primer and then acrylic enamel.

D-