Outrage Drain

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
RWM

Outrage Drain

Postby RWM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm

On my 1986 OUTRAGE there is a cockpit sump and drain on the aft starboard side to make the cockpit drain as designed. There is also a tunnel at the top of this sump where the fuel line runs to the tank. It appears to me, on my boat, that when a lot of water such as from a heavy rain, needs to be drained, the sump with 1” drain will not keep up and water will fill up the sump then overflow into the gas tank well. The gas tank has been replaced and all foam around the tank removed. A suction hose was installed for the bottom of the tank well so I can suck water out if it fills up. But of course this defeats the self bailing design of the Outrage. Am I missing something?

RWM

Re: Outrage Drain

Postby RWM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:19 pm

When the new tank was installed it was not foamed in. It rests on KING StarBoard pads with neoprene attached then glued to the tank. Then held in with metal strips across the tank top. Any water in the cavity will run to the rear. A clear 1/2” tube is installed such that water that gets in can be pumped out. I have ordered a small hand pump to do just that.
Looks like a decent solution to me. Comments?

ConB

Postby ConB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:53 pm

I have never considered my 1987 Outrage 18 to be true self bailing.

I use a mooring cover on my boat most of the time.

If I get a good soaking rain or after deck washing I will open the deck plates for a few days to let the tank area dry out.

I am very interested in what Whaler may have done differently with the new 2018 Montauk 190.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:22 pm

What you describe sounds correct.

If you review the reference article, you will see photos that show the drains and rigging channels in the hull.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/centerDeckRepair.html

The term self-bailing refers to the boat draining excess water once it reaches its static point.

I think you have purchased a boat that was cared for by the prior owner who was wise in his/her decisions regarding the tank replacement.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

RWM

Postby RWM » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 pm

Thank you Phil. I tend to worry too much and your reassuring comments made me feel a lot better about the gas tank install...Bob