170 MONTAUK Accessory Fish Station

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
DiamondDog

170 MONTAUK Accessory Fish Station

Postby DiamondDog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 pm

[On a 2003 Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK boat] I would like to replace the ski pylon with a fish station consisting of a table and rod holders.

I've seen photos [of a fish station with a table and rod holders] but a dealer said he doesn't think [Boston Whaler] makes one for the [170 MONTAUK boats], just [for] other models.

Has anyone seen [a fish station consisting of a table and rod holders] for the [170 MONTAUK]?

Where can I find one?

Thanks

jimh

Re: 170 MONTAUK Accessory Fish Station

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 am

Have you checked the Boston Whaler catalogue or called Boston Whaler customer service to inquire about the availability of a fish station consisting of a table and rod holders for the 170 MONTAUK?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 am

I assume you're writing about what is sometimes called a bait preparation station. If so, they are available from aftermarket vendors. The majority of those I've seen are mounted to a stainless tube for temporary mounting in a single rod holder. A web search will probably result in finding one that will meet your needs.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:08 am

A relatively quick visit to the WHALER.COM website shows that an option was available for a 170 MONTAUK to add a LIVEWELL WITH BLUE INTERIOR. This option provides two rod holders and a center-mounted aft livewell with a lid. This creates a flat surface or table. I suspect that this option may not be possible to order for retro-fitting to an existing boat, as it likely involves some wiring and hose installation. Generally options that require significant change to the boat are not provided as dealer-installed options.

Again, the best answer to your inquiry about the existence of a Boston Whaler provided option for your Boston Whaler boat will be given by Boston Whaler customer service.

DiamondDog

Postby DiamondDog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:56 pm

I called my whaler dealer in Maine to describe the part and he wasnt able to look it up. I even Gave him the part number I found on an old CW thread and it turned up nothing. I will call email/whaler service. I was surprised I was unable to find it again searching. It’s a simple post that goes where the ski pylon does, topped with a prep/bait table. And rocket launchers on either side of it. It is not rail mounted.

The reason I liked it is I have no use for the pylon but I’ll be trolling 4 lines come spring and this would be handy for the inside two.

DiamondDog

Postby DiamondDog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm

However I do like the idea of the livewell combo.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:50 pm

The live well lid atop most live wells is not intended for use as a bait prep or filleting table. On the 190 Montauk, for example, the lid is covered in non-skid and is a useful step for boarding the boat. It's much too nice a piece of gear for a cutting board.

It would be a fairly simple and easy job to design and construct a table for your purpose with a rod holder attached through each side. Some Starboard Marine Lumber, a pair of gunwale style rod holders, and a pair of stainless steel tubes spaced to fit your Montauk should get you started.

If you can post a picture of your Montauk showing the skiing pylon in place it could be helpful.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks for letting us know that dealer in Maine could not find information on the part you want to obtain. I don't know that your report of your conversation with a dealer in Maine means that this part does not exist and you should abandon your search to find the part. I don't consider the remarks of a random dealer to be the final word on the availability of any particular part.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:45 am

That particular part you are referring to was an option on couple of older 90-early 2000 whalers - its called Fishing station - option 100-70203.
You can easily find it on whaler parts chart on 21 or 23 outrage -17 outrage-17 dauntless. You best bet would be E-bay - I see them once a while there - they sell anywhere from 200-300 . I have one if you are interested I kept from my whaler I sold.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 am

Has anyone done a internet search for an aftermarket product?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

DiamondDog

Postby DiamondDog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:56 am

I did search for boston whaler part #1068485 (which I got from a 2004 CW post) "fishing station" and got nothing. The links and the pics from the old thread aren't useful so I'm not 100 percent sure it's the thing.

The Dealer said something about parts for my boat being hard to get because of its age. I'm not going to use him as a resource anymore.

I bought the boat in December, and it went right into storage at the dealer that sold it to me. I am not very familiar with my boat, but I did take pictures.

I'm guessing the 1-877-294-5645 number is the best way to inquire directly with Boston Whaler. I'll call and see if the table for the Outrage and Dauntless models will fit with the Montauk.
Attachments
whaler 5.jpg
whaler 5.jpg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 10455 times
whaler 6.jpg
whaler 6.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 10455 times
whaler2.jpg
whaler2.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 10455 times

DiamondDog

Postby DiamondDog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:58 am

vze2gbs4 wrote:That particular part you are referring to was an option on couple of older 90-early 2000 whalers - its called Fishing station - option 100-70203.
You can easily find it on whaler parts chart on 21 or 23 outrage -17 outrage-17 dauntless. You best bet would be E-bay - I see them once a while there - they sell anywhere from 200-300 . I have one if you are interested I kept from my whaler I sold.

I would be interested if it fits. Can you PM a picture to me please?

Thanks

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks for posting three images of your Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK that do not show the accessory fish station you are seeking and for letting us know that you want to get a picture of the accessory fish station you are seeking to be sent to your privately. I think it would be more useful in the context of this public discussion about the accessory fish station you are seeking if a picture of it could be publicly posted to this thread. After talking about the accessory fish station you are seeking, to never get to see a picture of it would be disappointing. Please, let's see this accessory fish station in this thread.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:30 pm

DiamondDog wrote:I'm guessing the 1-877-294-5645 number is the best way to inquire directly with Boston Whaler.

I think you are on safe ground with that guess. Compare the number you have chosen to contact Boston Whaler with the number that Boston Whaler gives on their "CONTACT US" webpage at

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/contact-us/

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm

DiamondDog wrote:I did search for [Boston Whaler] part 1068485 (which I got from a 2004 CW post) "fishing station" and got nothing. The links and the pics from the old thread aren't useful....

You did not specify what older thread you are making reference to, but I believe you must be talking about

cutting board / rod holders 21' outrage
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001474.html

That thread is now 14-years-old. The several hyperlinks to images hosted at other websites are all now dead-links. CONTINUOUSWAVE cannot control the content of other websites, and it is not particularly surprising that hyperlinks from 14-years ago on other websites may no longer be active or working. The fact that CONTINUOUSWAVE has maintained and continues to provide content from 14-years ago is a bit of an exception in the general conduct of websites.

I do find that the 14-year-old discussion contains in its text a great deal of information, even if the off-site linked resources have vanished.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Phil T wrote:Has anyone done a internet search for an aftermarket product?

Phil--I found hundreds of aftermarket bait preparation tables that can mount in a rod holder.

I did not find any aftermarket bait preparation stations that also provide two rod holders. I think there is a fundamental problem in requiring the bait preparation table to be sufficiently strong, rigid, and resistant to any forces acting on it to be able to tolerate the forces that can be produced by two fishing rods placed in rod holders on the bait preparation station. Generally a rod holder requires attachment to a very strong and stable surface, such as through-hole mounting into strong deck laminates or by clamping to stainless steel railings.

In order to create the requisite strength of mounting for a bait preparation table that included two rod holders for itself, the mounting of this table would have to be extremely strong. Generally rod holders are fastened very tightly and closely to their mount surface. That we are seeking a table that can be fitted as an aftermarket, owner-installed accessory on a Boston Whaler boat which will have sufficient mounting strength to its attachment point that the forces of two rod holders can be resisted suggests to me that the mounting point for the table must be designed with this sort of load in mind. As you know, Boston Whaler would never design something that could have these kinds of loads without also designing the mounting system and attachment point to the Unibond hull to have the requisite strength.

DiamondDog

Postby DiamondDog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:32 pm

I will probably stop the search for now. I don't necessarily need the rod holder/table in combination or in the pylon area, it just seemed Ideal when I saw the picture. I'm so excited to have everything ready for ice out/spring cod even though I havent done more than test drive the boat. I've got more plans than there is sq footage on the boat --I laugh aloud--.

Thanks everyone for the info