Outrage sump pump

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
RWM

Outrage sump pump

Postby RWM » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:11 pm

On my 1986 Outrage 18 I am planning to install a pump in the aft starboard sump. I understand this was an option in 1986, but my boat does not have one and apparently there was never one installed.

My plan is to use a Rule 500-GPH fully-automatic pump, which I happen to have on hand. I will wire it directly to the battery using 16-AWG [ANCOR] wire with adhesive heat shrink connectors. An in-line 5-Ampere fuse with waterproof holder will be installed on the positive circuit. This RULE automatic pump operates very briefly every 2.5 minutes, and, if water in sensed, it pumps until the sump drains. Since this will be wired directly to the battery I will have neither a manual ON override nor an OFF switch.

The primary use of this pump will be to drain rainwater from the sump when the boat is moored at the dock and to drain wash down water. The boat is at the the dock in front of my house and will not be left unattended for more than a day. When we go away we pull it.

Although the wood diagram for the 18 outrage does not show any wood backing below the sump, I plan to secure this small bilge pump with two small stainless sheet metal screws in the bottom of the sump, and bed them with life caulk.

I will point out that the fuel tank has been replaced and all foam in the cavity removed. Thus overflow from the sump would fill the fuel tank cavity. I do have a hose at the bottom of the cavity to remove any water with a hand pump, which is effective, but I want to keep water out of the fuel tank cavity as much as possible.

Does anyone see a problem with my planned installation?

Bob M.
1979 Montauk
1986 18 Outrage
Member since 2000

jimh

Re: Outrage sump pump

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Bob--my only comment about your plan concerns what battery will power the pump. Does your boat have two batteries? If not, and the pump is connected to the engine cranking battery, there could be a risk for the engine battery to be run down to the point where it won't crank over the engine. A better arrangement will be to operate the pump from the HOUSE battery. This will avoid the risk that the engine won't be able to be cranked over for starting due to a run-down battery that was created by too much pump running.

RWM

Postby RWM » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks Jim, Yes I thought of that and there is a risk. Particularly since my engine is a 150 HP Optimax which requires 800 CCA to crank over and supply power to the starting systems. The sump pump should draw very little on "automatic". My new battery is rated at 125 minutes reserve capacity at 25 amps. With the pump only drawing 2.5 amps when pumping I think it would take a long time pumping to drain the battery. And since I will have the boat docked at my house I could charge the battery if I thought it was down. Obviously if I only have a single battery it better be a good one and I would change it every two years or so.

As you know the 18 Outrage has wood backing in the stern splashwell, both on the port and starboard side for locating two batteries. My battery is on the starboard side, but the port side is occupied by the Optimax oil storage tank. Optimax...

I could put another battery on the starboard side, next to the existing battery, and would do that except for the "no wood backing."

I am conservative and all things equal would rather have two batteries. Thoughts?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 am

Since the boat is kept at a dock and there is access to 120-VAC, you can provide some means of battery charging to recover from periods of heavy rain.

As you mention, you won't get the OptiMax started without a good battery connected.

Since there is a risk of the battery charge being run down periodically, choose a battery that can better tolerate deep discharges and recharging. Storage batteries that tolerate many discharge-recharge cycles are often marked as "deep discharge" type. One possible choice, albeit an expensive choice: a Firefly Lead-Acid Carbon Foam Group 31. This innovative micro-carbon-foam battery is said to tolerate thousands of charge-discharge cycles. See

https://www.bruceschwab.com/advanced-energy-storage-systems/firefly-energys-oasis-group-31/

You might also check the boat's trim at rest to see what happens if you just leave the cockpit starboard sump drain open to the sea. You might find that the water level that comes into the sump is contained in the sump. That could be a solution for those days or weeks of heavy rain.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 am

Have you reviewed your boat's static trim when the bilge through hull plug is removed when at rest and you standing on the dock?

If only a moderate amount of water accumulates, I would suggest leaving the boat tied up with the plug removed and let any rain water naturally drain.

If there is alot of weight in the stern (heavy motor, batteries, gear), you may want to redistribute it forward to the console or forward cooler to gain more favorable trim.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

frontier

Postby frontier » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:42 am

Some find the constant on and off of the fully automatic bilge pump annoying. Using a float switch type bilge pump or a simple on-off switch is more peaceful.

RWM

Postby RWM » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for the input. Jim, regarding the very expensive battery, I think I will pass. What about adding a 2nd battery next to the one on the starboard side? It would not be over a place with wood backing, but I could put the strap hold down screwed into the fiberglass with the hockey puck method. I would like to do this...
Phil, I would be concerned about pulling the sump plug at the dock. If water starts to overflow into the tank cavity the stern would continue to sink, bringing in more water until static trim is achieved likely with a lot of water in the boat. Maybe I will try it after the bilge pump is installed.
I am going to start with the automatic pump since I already had it on hand. Can always switch to a float if I find it annoying.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:15 pm

If water does enter the tank cavity, it will not harm anything, it is a gelcoated cavity. It is long term exposure to water that will lead to potential foam saturation around the perimeter of the tank.

I know half a dozen members who leave their Outrage's with the plug removed at a dock or mooring.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Malcolm Goodfellow

Postby Malcolm Goodfellow » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:39 pm

As frontier suggested, the automatic pump cycling can be annoying to some people. I am definitely one of those people. My 1988 Outrage 18 had one in the splash well and one in the cockpit sump. Drove me bananas thinking about them chipping away at the battery. They are indeed nice and compact but the 500gph with built in float switch was the way to go for me. Yes, massive compared to the cycling Rule but fit easily in the bottom of the sump.

I encourage you not to drill holes in the sump (nor anywhere for that matter). Previous owner used 3m heavy duty velcro in both locations and I was impressed by its performance . By tyraping the pump discharge hose correctly, I avoided holes, screws, and velcro. Now I can lift the pump off the sump bottom to aid in cleaning, flushing out sand..... Malcolm