Waterlogged SQUALL

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Colaboks

Waterlogged SQUALL

Postby Colaboks » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:04 pm

I just bought a Squall, and its weight is a whole lot more than 125 to 140-lbs. I made a bag out of three-mil plastic sheeting and have a dehumidifier running inside it.

Should I take a hole saw and drill a half a dozen 3-inch holes in the deck to open up the inside foam and waterto allow the dehumidifier to really suck out the water?

I figure a holes saw, because I could epoxy those chunks back in place.

What do you think?

And if this is a good idea, where would you drill into the deck on a SQUALL?

Thanks.

ConB

Re: Water Logged Squall...help!

Postby ConB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Before you spend much time on the SQUALL, someone here will be able to find the article about a guy that has been drying a SQUALL for years.

Can you use it as is?

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Colaboks

Re: Waterlogged Squall

Postby Colaboks » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:41 pm

It’s very heavy right now. I would assume I could use it as is--but I need to dry it out. Then it will be fun to use.

By the way, brought it home two days ago. So weather won’t be good for using it, for a couple months. This is why I am trying to dry it out.

I’m pretty confident that if I open up some holes in the deck and let the dehumidifier do its job, this thing will dry out. I just don’t know where to saw the holes with the hole saw.

ConB

Postby ConB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 pm

!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:51 pm

Don't worry. I will keep this thread going so in 15-years you can let us know how it turned out.

Colaboks

Re: Waterlogged SQUALL

Postby Colaboks » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 am

I have a plan...which should only take a couple months. 15 years is not an option for me.

I am going to install (6) deck plates, with the screw in caps. This will serve as a means to let the dehumidifier draw the water out of the foam...and allow for future inspection/drying out if necessary.

I will install these deck plates in the least obstructive places. The large 4-6 inch openings on these deck plates, will really let that hull breath, and allow the dehumidifier to draw out all the water inside the hull. I also believe a good quality deck plate won’t take anything away from the integrity of the hull.

Wish me luck.

Colaboks

Postby Colaboks » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 pm

I hole sawed (6) more 4-1/2” hole saw holes in the hull.
Combined with the (6) 4-1/2” hole saw holes in the deck, that I plan to cover with Beckson screw out deck plates...I have 170 sq. In. Of open hull/deck to the humidifier.

Plan to reglass my hole saw cut outs back in, after she is dried out.

Have it on an incline...bow higher then stern.

Sitting as it would be on the water...deck is up. Wrapped in a plastic sheet...tent. So no outside air can enter.

Dehumidifier is on continuous, with a circulating fan at one end, so I have solid airflow to dry it out.

Also drilled (6) 1/2” holes in the keel...aft of the centerboard. It’s wet in there.

This is my final setup, and plan to let it sit and have the dehumidifier suck the water out, and the heat from itt evaporate the water.

Should work.

I will keep you posted.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:08 pm

For years I've heard people say that the closed cell foam does not absorb water, but have seen many Whalers that somehow retain water in the foam. I've owned 6 of them over the years and one was pretty bad and heavy and I've seen several that were project boats removing the interior and scooping out all the waterlogged foam to then refoam and install a new floor.

Curious how the Squall comes out and if you get a significant amount of water contain in the foam.

D-