Raising the RPS....again.

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Salty Tricks

Raising the RPS....again.

Postby Salty Tricks » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Some of you tenured members of the forum will remember member Jim Farris posting pics of his take on raising the RPS and installing a drawer between the seat bottom and top of the RPS molded legs (old thread 2006?). It was one of the best treatments I can recall. Can anyone point me to where I might find those pics and description of the build? I have tried several links to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated.

Phil T

Re: Raising the RPS....again.

Postby Phil T » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:34 am

Wow, this blows the cobwebs out a bit. Here is a thread with links.

http://www.continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/009991.html

Walt @ BlackDuck Galleries makes risers for this project.

http://blackduckgallery.com/WOODPARTS.html

Jim [Farris] is a cabinetmaker of high regard and has disgusting talent. While I can't find the photo, I do remember it was a box that was attached to the bottom of the RPS cushion, inside the legs, had a full inlay drawer on European sliders (like kitchen cabinet drawer)with a lock hardware in the center.

Is this what you are looking for?

Phil

[edit for clarity]
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Salty Tricks

Postby Salty Tricks » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks Phil

You'll see I was the one who started one of those threads. Indeed I was looking for Jim's picture so I can finally revisit this project. I do remember the superb work he did. His link no longer works to that image. Maybe Ill try shooting Farris an email at his cabinet business.

Michael

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:46 am

I think you should reach out to him.

Maybe he can build it for you?

If you do get photos, we can share them here for the archive.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:18 am

Where is the picture of the drawer?
I didn't see one only the wood "blocks" increase below the cast RPS legs.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:05 am

The best console riser woodwork I have seen was on Jerry's OUTRAGE 22 SPOUTER. (Jerry passed away a few years ago, and I think his nephew got the boat. I don't know what happened to it after that.) Jerry was a professional painter. His varnish work was outstanding. His design is the most graceful--it looks like something Dick Fisher would have made.

I like Jerry's design because of the angling of the legs and taper in the horizontal beam. Jerry was a craftsman.

Here is another nicely varnished riser aboard WHALE LURE which uses simpler wood cuts. This riser adds more height.

These images are from a thread begun 12-years ago. CONTINUOUSWAVE tries to preserve content as best it can.

I think in both the designs shown above the fasteners that go into the deck are concealed. I think the risers are in three pieces: the two bottom levels of the riser feet are screwed to the deck, then the next layer (or layers) of the riser are screwed atop the lowest tier, concealing the fasteners holding the lowest tier to the deck.

Beerspitnight

Postby Beerspitnight » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Hello,
Raising the RPS and the console are two of my summer projects. I like the RPS riser that is cut to match the curve of the RPS bracket. Does anyone have plans for these risers? I thought I saw a set of plans on this forum, but I can't seem to locate them now.
Thanks,
Brian
1989 MONTAUK 17

Salty Tricks

Postby Salty Tricks » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 am

Indeed some nice work on the blocks, however I prefer to keep the wood off
the eternally wet deck.