170 MONTAUK Fire Extinguisher

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jaybird77

170 MONTAUK Fire Extinguisher

Postby Jaybird77 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am

[What is] the best source for replacing a Kidde WR392753? This model is not subject to recall and is the original fire extinguisher which came with my 2003 170 MONTAUK.

I cannot find one at West Marine, Amazon, or on Kidde's website. I have not tried a dealer yet, as although they are good, are an hour-away. What seems to be problematic in the search is that [the fire extinguisher on my particular 170 MONTAUK] stores horizontally, requiring a robust strap. The ones (that would fit the space in the console) which I've seen at West Marine have a vertical strap, which won't suffice for the horizontal orientation of the in-console factory arrangement.

I am happy to try the dealer, but I thought someone might know an on-line source in order to save the trip. Thanks for any help.

jimh

Re: 170 MONTAUK Fire Extinguisher

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:58 am

I would be very surprised to learn that the Kidde WR392753 was a model made specifically for use on a Boston Whaler boat and is only available as a Boston Whaler part from a Boston Whaler dealer.

I recommend you contact the manufacturer, Kidde, and get advice from them where their product can be purchased on-line, if that specific model is still being made, or if obsolete, what the replacement would be.

Why can't the strap and mount from the original installation be re-used with a new fire extinguisher canister?

Jaybird77

Postby Jaybird77 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks Jim. I will try Kidde. The concern with the horizontal mount is that the strap is very diameter dependent, as it tightens securely around it. I have found similar diameter fire extinguishers, but those were too long to fit into the recessed cavity. I am ok with having to install a new strap, but as I alluded to those that would seem to fit lengthwise (thus far) had vertical straps and not the same diameter (smaller) for the existing strap. Appreciate the comment.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:11 am

Jaybird if you buy any USCG approved NEW extinguisher that would fit lengthwise(width of case) it will come with new mounting strap and therefore you should be able to install it. Might it be horizontal or vertical like most.
I had to use the new mounting(strap & neck "U") that came with the replacement for my recalled Kiddde extinguisher that is also mounted horizontal recessed in the CC. I assume you have to do the same with a replacement for yours.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot