1982 Evinrude E70ELCN stalls 1700-2000 RPM

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
wizfe

1982 Evinrude E70ELCN stalls 1700-2000 RPM

Postby wizfe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:53 pm

My 1982 Sport 15 has an Evinrude 70, model E70ELCN, that stalls under load between 1700 and 2000-RPM, If I pushed-in the ignition key switch--electric choke--the engine would accelerate above 2,000 RPM. My plan this Spring is to use new fuel line, new Evinrude tank, and install new carburetor rebuild kits.

1. Is there anything else I could check?
  2. Should I replace on-engine fuel lines for suspected deterioration from age and ethanol?
  3. Are there any other fuel components that can be replaced?
  4. I very much appreciate any ideas.

Also, I went to two Evinrude dealers today to check re-power costs. After seeing $9700 I picked my self off the floor and decided to try repair before just selling my 1982 Sport Hull as re-power costs are too high.

Thanks for the many years of a great forum!

Hank Wiswell
Spokane, WA
Hank Wiswell
Spokane, WA
1982 Sport 15
Evinrude E70ELCN
Original Owner

wizfe

Re: 1982 Evinrude E70ELCN stalls 1700-2000 RPM

Postby wizfe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Great Evinrude/Johnson Parts source
https://www.seawaymarine.com in seattle quick to ship!
Hank Wiswell
Spokane, WA
1982 Sport 15
Evinrude E70ELCN
Original Owner

jimh

Re: 1982 Evinrude E70ELCN stalls 1700-2000 RPM

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Typically when you push in the ignition key switch you get a fuel enrichment. While I am not certain how that works on a 70-HP, it often operates an electrical solenoid valve that lets a lot more fuel flow into the intake manifold, completely bypassing the carburetors. If that action causes the engine speed to accelerate, then the problem of limited engine speed is likely due to a fuel restriction in the carburetors or the hoses which feed the carburetors.

An engine made in c.1982 may very likely NOT have rubber fuel hoses that are ethanol-gasoline resistant. Replacing the smaller rubber hoses in the engine may be a good step toward prevention of future problems. Maybe you can buy a length of the proper-type rubber hose from the Evinrude dealer and cut the hose into individual sections to replace each segment of the fuel distribution system under the cowling. That would be a lot cheaper than buying the many hose segments as individual parts.

Evinrude usually uses Oetiker clamps for securing fuel hoses, so probably should invest in a bunch of new Oetiker clamps and a crimping tool for them, if you decide to replace a lot of hose in the fuel system. The archive contain a very good discussion about Oetiker clamps, where to get them, and where to get crimp tooling. See

Oetiker Hose Clamps
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/020693.html

There is probably an under-cowling fuel filter in-line somewhere. That would also be something to replace periodically.

New spark plugs on the exact recommended brand and model and with proper spark gap will also help improve engine running characteristics.