c.2016 150 SUPER SPORT: Installing Bow Railing

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
MattS

c.2016 150 SUPER SPORT: Installing Bow Railing

Postby MattS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:27 am

[Separated from another thread that was discussing a different boat--jimh]

Just bought a 2016 150 Super Sport. The boat comes with everything I wanted except a bow rail.

Is having a bow rail installed worth the cost?

Are bow rails useful"

Or are bow rails more aesthetic?

jimh

Re: c.2016 150 SUPER SPORT: Installing Bow Raili

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:39 pm

If a bow rail is desired on a 150 SUPER SPORT, I suggest that only the OEM bow rail be installed. Contact a dealer to get a quote on the cost.

Boston Whaler boats generally have been designed with very good aesthetics, and highly visible elements of the boat, like a bow railing, have been designed to complement the boat's overall look.

The bow railing is certainly a safety element, and for that reason the railing must be properly attached to the boat. Boston Whaler will have provided specific areas on the hull for attachment points, with reinforcements embedded in the hull to carry the loading of the railing when the railing is under stress from trying to contain a passenger in the boat from falling. For this reason, any railing installed should certainly use the OEM attachment points.

I also suggest checking with Boston Whaler to get answers to these questions:

• were all 150 SUPER SPORT hulls built with the necessary embedded reinforcements for attachment of a bow railing?
  • is the OEM railing available to purchase ?
  • if the railing attachment reinforcements are there and the railing is available as a part, does Boston Whaler permit the dealer to install it? Permit the owner to install it? Permit a non-Whaler mechanic to install it?

It is unlikely there is an aftermarket pre-made bow railing solution. In the absence of one, the installation of a bow railing would likely be done as a one-off project by a boatyard worker or maybe the boat owner. One of the least favorable things to do with a Boston Whaler boat is to make modifications to it that do not have the same level of design and quality as the OEM elements of the boat. For that reason, if an non OEM bow railing is installed, be certain its design complements the boat's lines and that its attachment points where fastened to the hull are sufficiently strong that the railing functions as it should as a safety handhold and retaining railing.

Unravels

Re: c.2016 150 SUPER SPORT: Installing Bow Railing

Postby Unravels » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 am

I have a 2017 150 SUPER SPORT. The bow rail looks good, and I believe it helps keep kids fenced-in. But it does get in way when anchoring or trying to get on or off boat from the bow.

Also, the bow rail gets in the way of dock lines because the only forward cleat is at the bow. Honestly, I am thinking about cutting off the center front section of bow rail so we can get in or out of boat more easily when launching. And I may add trolling motor.

I believe the rail was a $900 option [and to install one after original manufacture there will be additional charges for] shipping and labor. [Adding a bow rail] would be an expensive add-on.

Go by a dealer and check out [a 150 SUPER SPORT] with [an OEM bow rail]. Make sure you really need it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 am

Among some models of Boston Whaler boats, there are many options available at time of purchase regarding railings, including options to delete railings, particularly the bow railing.

As mentioned above, to climb aboard a boat like a 150 SUPER SPORT at the bow, the railing will become an obstacle, not a safety device.

MattS

Postby MattS » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks everyone, I bought the boat from a dealer who has offered to install the bow rail.

I don't have young kids, but there will be teenagers on board, so maybe the ease of getting in and off, swimming, etc. will outweigh any safety concerns. Think I'll save the $1000 and [forgo] the bow rail.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 am

Yes: the points made above as to getting on board are true, but the others [outweigh] that problem.

[The bow railing] is great to grab onto, it is nice to lean against when sitting upfront, it is great to tie off a fender.

The anchor used on a 150 is easily handled from locker to under the railing for a throw. The Boston Whaler railing and its stanchions are strong enough to tie off on if you think the front chock tie off is hard to handle.

These railings are a very good option on these little 15-foot boats and I wouldn't do without mine or cut it.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot