Lenco Trim Tabs to be installed

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
floater

Lenco Trim Tabs to be installed

Postby floater » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:07 am

I just obtained a new Lenco trim tab kit with indicator switches for a good price. I'm going to install them this weekend. I've been reading all the post about this and hope it all goes as planned. Looking forward to no more tilt to Port when underway!

Phil T

Re: Lenco Trim Tabs to be installed

Postby Phil T » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:31 am

Have you already reviewed the position of the trim tab that hangs down right above the prop?

If it is not set correctly, you can experience a list to one side.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

floater

Postby floater » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:54 am

Oh ya I've played with that engine trim tab several time trying to correct the list. I have a 130-lbs kicker and a battery on the port side, and I figure all this extra weight is causing the list. It corrects slightly when I trim the big motor up as far as I can when on plane. It gets worse with a passenger on that side. I'm hoping the tabs will set the hull even.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:03 am

What Boston Whaler hull are we discussing?

floater

Postby floater » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 am

It is a 1998 Revenge 20 WT with a 1991 Mercury 200hp main and a 2006 Mercury 15 hp four stroke as a kicker.

floater

Postby floater » Mon May 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Got the Lenco Trim Tabs installed. Took about seven hours from start to finish. Turns out you shouldn't assume the original owner had temporarily put the top bracket on facing the right way! He had bolted on the the top bracket onto the motor upside down causing the holes to be drilled to be quite higher on the transom than they should have been. This caused me to drill the holes in the wrong place and add a piece of Starboard to fill in the gap between the reinforced transom the the thinner part of the transom. After I realized my mistake and turned the top bracket around it all fit where it was supposed too. The way those stainless steel screws dug into the fiberglass left no doubt in my mind as to the strength of the bond along with the 3M 5200 I used in the holes. I haven't water tested it yet but will post back when I do.

ASIDE:I can't post pics now because I'm not sure what hosting site to use.

[Nota bene: you can upload images of reasonable size to attach to a posting. Please read the INTRODUCTION forum article that explains the method. See the thread "Adding Image to Post".

floater

Postby floater » Thu May 10, 2018 9:18 pm

I managed to get the Revenge 20 W-T out for a test run this week. The trim tabs really affect the ride. With the tabs in their retracted position the boat seems to feel more 'tippy' in a side to side motion when you get up out of the hole shot. Once on plane I deploy the port tab and the boats once pronounced list goes away. I do find that I'm able to stay on plane at about 200 rpms less than before I installed the tabs. Not really sure if I like them but time will tell.

floater

Postby floater » Tue May 22, 2018 4:22 pm

I took out the Revenge 20 W-T fishing this weekend with three extra passengers on board. The trim tabs performed as expected and advertised. The list to Port was gone and the boat ran smooth. I'm very happy with these tabs.