1988 Outrage Sternlight Lamp Pole Mounting

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
grexis

1988 Outrage Sternlight Lamp Pole Mounting

Postby grexis » Mon May 07, 2018 8:44 am

In the process of restoring an 1988 Outrage I am trying to figure out how the sternlight lamp is supposed to work.

I have the lamp pole, the aluminum ring with rubber or plastic sleeve, and a bottom bracket. I see a slot in the pole, but how does the pole stay up in the raised position? Is there a pin or something that is used?

Any help would be appreciated.

jimh

Re: 1988 Outrage Sternlight Lamp Pole Mounting

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 am

From your description of two mounting brackets, I surmise that the lower mounting bracket is missing a small transverse rod that fits into the slots at the bottom of lamp pole and helps to contain the pole end in the bracket. The bracket is usually mounted at deck level on a small block of teak wood. The ring bracket is usually fastened to the inwhale of the cockpit near the stern. If my guess is correct, you can see the installation of the pole in a drawing that appears in the owner's manual for a classic-era OUTRAGE.

From my HTML version of the owner's manual, available at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual18-25/

Give us an image of the parts you have. A better response will be prepared.

Nota bene: A Boston Whaler is rigged with a sternlight lamp only if there is a corresponding masthead lamp. On an OUTRAGE the masthead light would be held aloft at the helm console by a pole fitted to a socket on the top of the dashboard and be on vessel centerline.

USCT at Rule 21 of ColRegs wrote:"Sternlight" means a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the stern showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 135 degrees and so fixed as to show the light 67.5 degrees from right aft on each side of the vessel.

You also might be asking about a white all-round lamp, not a sternlight lamp. These are usually off-center and have a 360-degree arc of illumination. Please clarify which type lamp, sternlight or white all-round. A white all-round light has to be shown from 1-meter higher than the sidelight lamps.

grexis

Postby grexis » Mon May 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks. I took [three] picture. I think I see the pin you are talking about. It is in the wood that was fastened to the floor which looks like it broke.

Is the wood at the bottom supposed to be on the gunwale?

Is the metal bracket on the floor in the wrong location?

I hope I uploaded the photos correctly, never done this before.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[Deleted links to terrible photo-hosting site that flooded you with advertisements and obscured the images. Please do not link to those sorts of image hosting sites. Thanks--jimh]

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 4:44 pm

IMG_1783_zps1owb3r4v.jpg
Figure 1: a teak block fastened to the wooden inwale, but the metal ring assembly is missing. This would be the upper mounting bracket. Below the upper bracket is a lower socket in a teak wood base. That looks normal.
IMG_1783_zps1owb3r4v.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
Above shows some awful rigging. I see fuel hoses with in-line splices, with battery cables entwined around them. That is a good way to set fire to the boat.

IMG_1784_zpsx9mw5ehf.jpg
Figure 2: a teak block that has fractured and shows only a portion of the original wood assembly, laying on a battery box. The other missing portion is not seen in the image.
IMG_1784_zpsx9mw5ehf.jpg (79.69 KiB) Viewed 5554 times

IMG_1785_zpsypuqtqcq.jpg
Figure 3: a MASTHEAD lamp apparently mounted at the center console. There is a shade below the lamp to prevent the light from hitting the helmsman. It looks like the lamp is oriented backwards. A MASTHEAD LIGHT is supposed to show forward, not aft.
IMG_1785_zpsypuqtqcq.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 5552 times

Did you see how the pole mounts in the illustration I showed above?

grexis

Postby grexis » Mon May 07, 2018 4:59 pm

I do have the aluminum ring (metal ring) that slides onto the pole. Where does the metal ring get fastened too? The teak piece on the gunwale?
I have both portions of the wood on the floor. The other piece must not have been visible. Is there another pin I'm missing for the top bracket?
I can flip the console light.
I did not see where the illustration shows the light setup.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 5:08 pm

grexis wrote:I did not see where the illustration shows the [lamp] setup.

The "light" is what your eye sees. The light come from a LAMP.

The illustration I posted in-line in my earlier reply shows both the MASTHEAD LIGHT pole-mounted lamp at the console with detail showing the the orientation of the shade, and the STERNLIGHT pole-mounted lamp at the starboard quarter.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 5:11 pm

grexis wrote:I do have the aluminum ring (metal ring) that slides onto the pole. Where does the metal ring get fastened...? [To] the teak piece on the gunwale?

Yes. On the ring there should be two holes, spaced 180-degrees. One smaller hole is for a screw fastener to hold the ring to the wood gusset on the gunwale. The other larger hole is there to allow your screwdriver shaft to pass through to reach the screw head so you can tighten the screw. Welcome to Boston Whaler good and simple design.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 5:13 pm

grexis wrote:Is there another pin I'm missing for the top bracket?

No, probably not. There is no transverse pin in the upper pole bracket on the gunwale, as it would prevent the pole from being installed and sliding through to the bottom socket.

The upper bracket on the inwale and the lower socket on the deck should be aligned vertically so they hold the pole vertical.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 5:16 pm

Where is a picture of the pole for the lamp that mounts in the stern? Show the bottom of the pole. Show where the electrical cable exits.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 5:16 pm

To learn how to include images, please read the article in the INTRODUCTION forum:

Adding Image to Post
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2569

Please do not link to that advertisement-cluttered photo-hosting site that takes 30-seconds to deliver the image. We try to give readers information, not links to advertisements. Thanks.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Nice garage: is that blue car a MUSTANG?

grexis

Postby grexis » Mon May 07, 2018 5:36 pm

I think I see what's going on now. For some reason, I thought the light was able to be raised to that upper ring level. Duh.
IMG_1787.jpg
IMG_1787.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 5536 times

Sorry about the ads; I'm still learning.
The visible portion of the stern light should face the rear I presume?

Thanks for the compliment on the garage. Only about a year old. 10K lift and built in air lines too.
We can work on boats and vehicles in warmth in the winter and out of the elements.
No real A/C, just a portable unit and some heavy duty fans keep it comfortable.
The blue car is my son's 2013 Boss 302. Out of the photo is my 67 Shelby.