Montauk LED Combined Sidelight Lamp

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ktval

Montauk LED Combined Sidelight Lamp

Postby ktval » Mon May 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Where can an lamp for combined sidelights that uses light-emitting diodes for a 1992 Montauk be purchased?
1995 Montauk 1995 Merc 90. Port Jefferson and Greenport NY

jimh

Re: Montauk LED Combined Sidelight Lamp

Postby jimh » Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Boston Whaler reintroduced their classic combined sidelight lamp and chock a few years ago. It should be available as a part from a dealer.

I wouldn’t obsess about getting a light-emitting diode as the illumination source unless you do all your boating as overnight all-night boating. The savings in electrical power hardly matters.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue May 29, 2018 11:03 pm

Love LEDs and installed them in my boats, cars, house and the current draw is minimal and I find they tend to put out better light than the incandescent bulbs.

I bought a bunch of these and listed them on this site several months ago and there was no interest, so I put them on eBay and they sold quick to Boston Whaler owners. I think I paid $1 a bulb in bulk and sold them for $9 each.

If the bulb you seek is the one that replaced screw in type, you should be looking for a T10 concave LED. It must be concave since LEDs tend to be narrow beam light sources and the concave redirects the light and makes it a useful replacement.

Try this site.

https://www.ledlight.com/e10-screw-base-t10-concave-led-light.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9LPYBRDSARIsAHL7J5n0SlrSGxXdOD1Px7DV1ao8zsbe0Gelcv0Ul8iKdl9oUPAImRYxV4AaAn3rEALw_wcB

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 am

I think KTVAL is interested in buying the whole lamp, not just a replacement lightbulb, but your information about incandescent replacement LED lightbulds is very useful, as I don't believe anyone has made the classic Boston Whaler combined sidelights lamp with an LED illumination source; I think they are all intended for incandescent lightbulbs.

Re the "light" from an LED being "better" than from an incandescent: LED illuminating sources tend to make mono-chromatic light, and to get a white light the manufacturers actually use a mixture of color illuminating sources. I don't know if your comment about "better" was in regard to the chromaticity or the intensity of the light

In most navigation lamps the light output passes through a color filter, red or green, to create the light output with a particular color. The filter cannot create a new light, it only filters out the wrong wavelength light. If the illuminating source does not create light at the wavelength of the red or green color filter, there won't be much light output at the proper color wavelength at all. An LED source might look like a nice bright white light, but it might not make the proper wavelength of red and green to produce much light output from a navigation lamp with particular color filters.

When originally manufactured and sold, proper navigation lighting gear is approved by the USCG to meet the standards for intensity and chromaticity. When a different illuminating source is installed, there is no guarantee the the emitted light remains at the original intensity.

ASIDE: a further problem with LED illuminating operating from 120-VAC power is the need for voltage conversion to drop down to the few volts of direct current needed to actually operate the light-emitting diodes. Lightbulbs with LED sources now contain small electronic voltage convertors, and those device tend to emit radio-frequency signals over a wide spectrum, creating radio-frequency-interference or noise. I recall one anecdotal account of a sailboater who installed an LED lamp at the top of his mast. The antenna for his VHF radio was also at the masthead. The LED navigation lamp made so much radio-frequency noise that reception on VHF was degraded.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Wed May 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Sorry, I must have misunderstood, KTVAL is looking for the lamp and lamp fixture, not the just the lamp. Websters defines the lamp as the bulb itself.

Definition of lamp
1 a : any of various devices for producing light or sometimes heat: such as (1) : a vessel with a wick for burning an inflammable liquid (such as oil) to produce light (2) : a glass bulb or tube that emits light produced by electricity (such as an incandescent light bulb or fluorescent lamp)
b : a decorative appliance housing a lamp that is usually covered by a shade
2 : a celestial body
3 : a source of intellectual or spiritual illumination
4 : eye 1a —usually used in plural

D-