170 MONTAUK: Hose type, Hose Length for Hydraulic Steering

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
richiemac

170 MONTAUK: Hose type, Hose Length for Hydraulic Steering

Postby richiemac » Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 am

My 2016 170 Montauk with Mercury 90 FOURSTROKE has 10-hours of run time and has Seastar non-feedback mechanical steering..

I want to upgrade to Baystar hydraulic steering, which seems straightforward. A Boston Whaler boat repair technician suggested the steering be upgraded to use Uflex or Teleflex pre-cut-to-length and pre-rigged hoses in preference to the cut-to-length hoses included in kit.

For anyone who has installed Baystar-brand hydraulic steering on a 170 MONTAUK:

--how did it go?

--what hoses were used?

--what length hoses?

--are you happy with the outcome?

Thanks--Richard

GoldenDaze

Re: 170 Montauk Hydraulic Steering Upgrade

Postby GoldenDaze » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:37 pm

A few years ago I replaced the Teleflex no-feedback cable steering in my 2003 160 Dauntless with the Baystar hydraulic system. The installation was in fact pretty straightforward, and the results are great -- possibly the best upgrade I've made to the boat.

I bought the kit with the tilt helm, which at least at that time was not so easy to find. It appears that the kits come with 20' or 30' of hose, I bought kit # 1-HK4200-T (from these guys, not that it matters: http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/1-BAYSTART.htm) and it came with 20' of hose which was plenty.

I did a writeup at the time, and I'll post it here. But first I need to rehost the photos from Photobucket to Flikr.

-Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

jimh

Re: 170 MONTAUK: Hose type, Hose Length for Hydraulic Steering

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Bob (GOLDEN DAZE) wrote a wonderful article describing his installation. See

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3456