21 OUTRAGE Access to hidden raw water pump

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Docangle

21 OUTRAGE Access to hidden raw water pump

Postby Docangle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi. Having just changed-up to a 1994 Outrage 21--the 170 Montauk having shrunk in inverse proportion to the grandchildren growing up--I have eventually found the raw water pump which collects from a through-hull fitting. This pump is on the bulkhead aft of the fuel tank before the aft sump, but in the same cavity as the tank. I found it using a fibre-optic cavity inspector as I could hear it run but not see it.

The pump looks to be on its last legs, but as far as I can see I will need to take up the whole of the cover over the fuel tank and this extends under the center console. Or, or am I missing something? Please.

I see there are two spaces, one on each aft quarter, currently covered over by the oil reservoirs for the twin 130 Yahama engines.

Has anyone tried fitting this pump in there? Having been caught out when a single pump failed in the past, I have twin bilge pumps in the aft sump so not really much space..

Thanks in advance from The United Kingdom

jimh

Re: 21 OUTRAGE Access to hidden raw water pump

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:32 pm

You should email Boston Whaler customer service and specifically Chuck Bennett, and seek his advice. It sounds like the design was--to use a British phrase--a bit of a cock up.

I'll see if I can find Chuck's email address and will send it to your email address.

[CHECK for a PM]

msirof2001

Postby msirof2001 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 pm

I had a 1995 21 OUTRAGE and the raw-water pump was inside the center console mounted on the aft wall of the console in close proximity to the wiring and fuses behind the rocker switches. Next to the freshwater pump, which I had because mine had the optional 20gal freshwater tank. On mine, in the cavity underneath the deck and behind the fuel tank was the bilge pump, bait pump (I added), and macerator pump for the fish holds.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

rtk

Postby rtk » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 am

My raw water wash down pump in my 1996 21 Outrage was also in the center console. I found this a bit odd since the water pick up and the hose outlet was located within a couple feet of each other in the stern section of the boat.

I had intended to relocate the pump in the space under the gunwhale all the way aft in close proximity to the raw water pick up on the port side but did not make the modification before I sold the boat.

Rich

Docangle

Postby Docangle » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you all. [The 1994 Outrage 21] currently is out of the water. I think I am just going to leave the old pump where it is to avoid taking up the cover over the fuel tank as that will mean moving the center console, and see where I can site a new pump using the current water inlet.

Charles