2004 Yamaha 40 TLRC Oil Warning Lamp

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Iceboy149

2004 Yamaha 40 TLRC Oil Warning Lamp

Postby Iceboy149 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:45 pm

The oil warning light [on a gauge associated with a 2004 Yamaha 40 TLRC outboard engine] has been orange ever since buying it a year ago. I put in a full quart and still it stayed orange.

When I was replacing my fuel pump today I noticed there was a wiring harness that wasn't attached, and it was the same green and green with red stripe as the oil sender. There was already another wiring harness of the same color plugged into the female version coming from the main wiring harness of the 703 control box and tachometer wiring harness.

When I plugged the oil sender harness into the female end the light finally went to green--first time ever.

Is the harness from the 703 remote an alarm, and is the other harness just the light indicator?

Can you have one or the other and not both?

Is there a way to have both, do I just splice them together?

jimh

Re: 2004 Yamaha 40 TLRC Oil Warning Lamp

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:16 am

Usually the owner's manual for Yamaha outboard engines will have a schematic diagram of the engine wiring and interconnection to remote controls and instrumentation. Consult the owner's manual for your engine to see if Yamaha provided advice on the interconnection of the engine wiring harness to your remote controls and instrumentation.

If you do not have an owner's manual for your outboard engine, you can find a link to resources that allow you to obtain a PDF version of the outboard engine owner's manual in my REFERENCE article at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ownersManuals.html

[Ironically, at the Yamaha website where manuals can be downloaded, the 40 TLRC manual appears to be a dead-link.]