Currituck Railing Screw Replacement Size

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mskin314

Currituck Railing Screw Replacement Size

Postby mskin314 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:43 am

Has anyone replaced the screws on their railing on a classic 16?

If so what size screw did you replace it with?

The original ones are 3/16" x 1", so I'm thinking some #10 x 1" stainless wood screws will do. I had some of the original screws on my 1965 Currituck railing stripped out. I took off the railing and filled the holes with Marine-Tex. I kept the original screws, but I can't stand Flathead screws. I would like to upgrade to Phillips head. I know I could go to the hardware store and see which ones are about the same size, but I want to make sure I get really good 316 stainless screws. Thanks

dtmackey

Re: Currituck Railing Screw Replacement Size

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Not familiar with the hardware on that model, but if it is anything like most of the Whaler hardware for railings on other models, then I go with a 10 x 1-inch Phillip head oval head sheet metal screw in stainless. I've had mixed results with 18-8 stainless in the saltwater, so stepping up to 316 stainless is nice. Sheet metal screws will hold better than wood screw and that's what Whaler uses (sheet metal screws).

I found a great place online to order from and they sell single pieces or packs of any quantity. Give them a look (I am not affiliated, nor do I know them other than being a customer). They ship same day and everything is nicely packed and marked.

http://www.boltdepot.com

D-

mskin314

Re: Currituck Railing Screw Replacement Size

Postby mskin314 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:00 am

I ended up going with [No. 10 1-inch screws being sold by an Amazon reseller with an oval head and Phillips drive] and am extremely happy. It seems to be almost an exact replacement. Even the threads look identical.

[These screws are stainless steel alloy or grade] 304 and not 316 SS, but they worked great.