Revenge 25 transom bracket

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jasonak

Revenge 25 transom bracket

Postby jasonak » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:16 pm

I'm attempting to finish a project started by the previous owner of this 1982 Revenge 25. I've done all the research I can, but am still stuck with a couple things, and just need a sanity check that I have a good plan to complete this.

I plan to raise the transom around 7-inches for a total of 32-inches. This would put the top of the bracket just below the top of the transom. This would make for a nice step in and out of the boat. Following the top line of the new transom, I was thinking of extending the raised part on each side, so that the bracket would sit flush all the way across. The bracket would bolt through the transom and an aluminum plate.

Before the bracket goes on, I was going to glass in all the wood where the motor well was removed. Unfortunately I don't have the motor well to reglass in. So I was thinking of just doing a new floor there. But, I would like to keep access to the inside of the transom, so I'm not sure what to do there.

I was also wondering if I could take out the back of the splash well, so I have a level deck from cockpit to transom. Possibly with a 2" scupper on each side through the top of the bracket. And then I have a 1993 OMC 225 OceanPro ready to go on the bracket.

What do you think?

Phil T

Re: Revenge 25 transom bracket

Postby Phil T » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Do you know what the prior owner did? Not sure why the spashwell and all the foam was removed in the first place.

If you are going to attach a bracket as heavy as that shown, you need to build up a full transom to attach it to. Without it I think there will not be enough support to hold it and the engine.

Every full bracket install I have seen over 15 years is with a FULL transom because Boston Whaler's don't have stringers or a frame.

I personally would get go back to what it was, build up to a full transom and add a 6 or maybe 12" setback bracket for single engine.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jasonak

Re: Revenge 25 transom bracket

Postby jasonak » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks, I think you're right and I should build up to a full transom.

I'm not sure exactly what he was trying to do, but he did mention converting the back to be bench seating. I'm guessing he removed the splashwell to gain access to the inside of the transom to reinforce it. Not sure why all that foam had to go though.

I'm not sure what the best approach is to converting the open splashwell into a floor. Just thinking out loud, I'm going to glass in the wood and exposed foam in there, with some drain holes from the boxes on the sides into the middle. That way if water does get in there, I can remove the drain plug at the bottom of the middle box. Maybe later I can use these boxes as storage or a livewell. Then, as I'm glassing in the floor over this, maybe some water proof / resistant hatches to access these boxes. That way I'll still have access to the inside of the transom.

I guess my main question right now is, can I remove the hump where the splashwell was divided from the rest of the boat? Would that be a structural concern to remove that?

My other question is do you think I should reinforce the transom, and if so, how do I that?