2002 290 Outrage leaky cabin

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
290outrageNJ

2002 290 Outrage leaky cabin

Postby 290outrageNJ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:09 pm

I am having leaking concerns because I am finding salt water in the cabin and underneath the refrigerator compartment in my 2002 290 Outrage.

Have any other owners [of a c.2002 Boston Whaler 290 OUTRAGE] had this problem?

Were those owners able to identify the source of the water?

[The water] appears to be saltwater. I have shut all the through-hulls and re-caulked the anchor locker, but still the water enters the boat.

Any suggestions would very much be appreciated.

Apogee

Re: 2002 290 Outrage leaky cabin

Postby Apogee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:52 am

The water is coming in from the transom area. If the fish boxes are not sealed or the plumbing for the bait tank or wash down pump leak salt water into the catch basin in the transom, the water can run forward in the keel channel all the way up under the holding tank and into the cabin.

Also the forward bulkhead for the chain locker is open on top and needs to be caulked with copious amount of silicone on both sides to keep water out of the forward cabin area and forward hatch under the main cushion in the bow. It is a problem.

I have considered making a dam plate to go across the center keel channel to keep the water in the transom so the aft bilge pump can remove it when needed.

jimh

Re: 2002 290 Outrage leaky cabin

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:41 am

I don't own a 290 OUTRAGE, but I had a similar problem with the strange appearance of seawater on the deck in the forward cabin of my Boston Whaler boat. As APOGEE has suggested for the 290 OUTRAGE, the source of the water I kept seeing was deduced to be coming from water in the aft cockpit sumps. The water was running forward into the cabin and collecting on the cabin deck. In my case, the boat was mostly on a trailer, and my normal highway travel included descending a long and steep grade. That's when the water would flow into the cabin, as the boat descended that long grade. Once in the cabin, it was at the lowest point in the boat and never went elsewhere.