Cleaning Non-skid: Preferred Products and Brushes

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Golfer0629

Cleaning Non-skid: Preferred Products and Brushes

Postby Golfer0629 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 pm

I know there are many posts regarding cleaning non-skid areas of my Boston Whaler boat. Please give me some preferred cleaning products as well as preferred brushes used. Thank you.

jimh

Re: Cleaning Non-skid: Preferred Products and Brushes

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:10 am

I use 3M Boat Soap. For dirt stuck in crevices I use a higher concentration of soap. For really hard to remove dirt I use my finger nail.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 am

For general everyday use I pretty much follow JimH's recommendations although I tend to use car wash. If the deck is particularly dirty I may use some Starbright deck and hull cleaner with a medium stiffness brush. Sometimes, after a day of fishing when the deck can get bloody and muddy with some ground in shrimp or bait fish, I use a power washer followed up with hull and deck cleaner. In a worst case scenario when there is a mold blush because of delaying clean up for a couple of days I'll mix some bleach in the deck wash solution.

Use a lot of care when using the chemical cleaners or bleach. Follow the instructions and, in general, rinse quickly and completely.

There is a deck wax product promoted to ease deck maintenance, Woody Wax, which can help. Personally I don't believe it is helpful enough to justify the cost and effort of application. The deck is also very slippery during application. Once the product is dry and buffed it is somewhat effective.
Butch

flymo

Postby flymo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:30 am

Barkeeper's Friend (the powder, not the gel) and a generic scrub brush work well for me. You can get specialized boat cleaners and brushes if you feel like spending 3X the cost for the same thing.

Tim

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Bar keepers Friend powder is a pretty harsh abrasive. They also make a liquid version that may be a little less abrasive and has the same oxalic acid that works so well at removing rust stains. For stains like fish blood, Sofscrub has some bleach in it that works better on "organic" stains.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:09 pm

BoatScrub by Aurora marine https://www.auroramarine.com/store/boat-scrub.html followed up with Sure Step https://www.auroramarine.com/store/sure-step.html so next time you can just rinse and wipe off.
Check it out. Sorry about the advertisement but it works, speaking from experience.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Hoosier

Postby Hoosier » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:37 am

I have found that "Works Tub and Tile Cleaner" is very effective. I found an almost identical product under the Zep brand. Both products come in spray bottles and are effective on grunge, rust, and tannin stains. They are non-abrasive and simple to use: spray, scrub, rinse. I think they would also work on light biologic hull fouling though I haven't tried it for that, yet.
1978 Outrage V20 with 2004 Suzuki DF-115. 1992 23 Walkaround with two 2010 Yamaha F-150s.

macfam

Postby macfam » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:27 am

I also use "Works" in the spray bottle, and it's hard to find. admirable scum line remover, and way cheaper than hull cleaner, but same active ingredient, oxalis acid. Be careful, COMPLETELY removes wax.
Works well mixed with white vinegar to stretch it.

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:53 am

I find 3M cleaner wax good for stubborn spots after I wash it. I even use a foam pad om a porter cable random orbital.