1996 Dauntless 170 Re-power

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
lbeckwith

1996 Dauntless 170 Re-power

Postby lbeckwith » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:03 pm

I recently purchased 1996 Dauntless 170 dual console boat with a rebuilt Evinrude 115-HP Evinrude Ocean Pro. The engine puts out so much in the way of fumes it is difficult to enjoy [using the boat]. I’d like to re-power with a reconditioned four-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine.

Please offer any recommendations for a reconditioned four-stroke engine that would be optimal for this boat.

jimh

Re: 1996 Dauntless 170 Re-power

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:18 am

You would save thousands of dollars and solve the exhaust fume problem by changing to a better oil for the Ocean Pro engine you have now. Try Evinrude XD50 oil or even XD100. My Evinrude engine makes no smoke and no smell with XD100.

Your real problem could be a failed OMS mixing pump. If the OMS pump is the original 1996 pump, it may need replacement. Failed pumps tend to mix too much oil. Are you tracking oil use and have an idea of the oil-gasoline ratio?

I would be very leery of a “rebuilt” four-stroke-power-cycle engine. Those engines are far more complex than an old two-stroke, and generally are beyond the ability of a rebuild by anyone other than the manufacturer.