Ventura Windshield

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
pstollie

Ventura Windshield

Postby pstollie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Winter was not kind to my Ventura 16 that was stored in NW Montana. One half of the curved walk-thru windshield was destroyed by the 150-inches of snow that fell, even though I thought the boat was protected by structure. I've already checked with Sue Lodell and a replacement windshield is no longer available.

Can anyone recommend a solution?

It appears there are a few plexiglass fabricators on the web where you can send in the frame and they will fit replacement plexiglass. Has anyone used such a service? Thanks.

jimh

Re: Ventura Windshield

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:59 pm

pstollie wrote:...recommend a solution...

Make a mold. Use 1/2-inch wide strips of wood, fit them to the frame of the windshield. Bond the individual pieces of wood together with epoxy. Remove the wood frame from the windshield frame.

Buy a sheet of plexiglass of appropriate thickness and size. Heat the plexiglass evenly and carefully. Bend it over the mold. Let cool against the mold.

Remove now curved plexiglass from mold. Cut to fit frame of windshield.

Alternate: recover as much of broken OEM windshield as possible; glue back together; use as base of new mold.