Should I Keep My Old Tempo Fuel Tanks?

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Keuka

Should I Keep My Old Tempo Fuel Tanks?

Postby Keuka » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 am

I pulled my old 1987 Montauk out of storage and refitted it with a new (2017) Mercury 90HP, 4 Stroke. I always liked my old original 1987 vintage, 6 gallon Tempo plastic fuel tanks so I did not buy new tanks with the new engine purchase. My understanding is the newer EPA "ventless" tanks are a pain to use. Now, my old Tempo tanks have not been used in years but they look fine. I know I will need to rinse and flush out the tanks with new fuel and I'll probably need to replace the quick connect fuel line connections on the tanks. Other than that I'd think the original plastic fuel tanks should work fine. Any thoughts or concerns?

I'm not sure if the new Mercury (fuel injected) requires a fuel line primer bulb but I think the marina tech said they are no longer needed. I'm researching that so if anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate a response on the need or advantage/disadvantage of a fuel line primer bulb.

My thoughts on keeping the old fuel tanks are not due to an expense concern, I can afford to buy new fuel tanks. However, I've read where the new "EPA" ventless tanks are a pain with swelling, vapor locking, etc. I have no experience with the new "improved" tanks but I have loads of experience with the "EPA" spill proof fuel can nozzles that spill gas on everything you try to fill. Like many, I've refitted all my fuel cans with the old stead fast "non-EPA" spouts that are actually spill proof. I'm thinking the new "ventless" tank design is probably as worthless as the EPA fuel can pour spout design. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or thoughts. I'm nearing the end of my refitting and restore project and the fuel tank decision is on my short list.

Thanks.
Keuka

jimh

Re: Should I Keep My Old Tempo Fuel Tanks?

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:47 am

Replace the old fuel hose and primer bulb. Do NOT use any gray metallic-looking fuel hose; get actual USCG-rated rubber hose marked A1 or B1.

For more on fuel hose markings and designations see

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2897

Keuka

Postby Keuka » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks Jim.
One thing I should have mentioned, I will be using non-ethanol fuel. I use non ethanol in everything except my car.

Keuka

Postby Keuka » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:43 pm

I just took another closer look at my Tempo tanks and I see the tank gaskets are cracked at the fuel line fittings and Tempo repair kits or parts aren't available. So, I'm now looking for two similar replacement tanks with some type of quick connectors for the tanks and fuel line. I will carry my gas to the boat so two 6 gallon tanks of about the same size will be needed. Is any one brand higher in quality than any other? I see some Moeller, Attwood, Scepter, etc. tanks online but little referencing quality, durability, leaking and vapor locking. They may all be made by the same China based supplier for all I know. Are there any aftermarket vented fill caps available for any of the brands? I will keep my old Tempo caps and hope they might fit. Any good or bad quality related experiences or suggestions?
Thanks,
Keuka

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 am

Keuka

I installed a deck mounted 6 gallon Moeller tank on my 1991 Outrage 17 and absolutely hated it.

It was expensive for a small tank and the tank leaked when hot due to the new EPA vented cap.

If I were to install a tank on a Montauk, I would go the distance and buy two (2) 6 gallon Mirax tanks, model # D-1212. They are high quality and will be the last tank you buy. You can paint them red and go for the OEM reproduction look.

Check them out here: https://miraxfuelproducts.com/rectangular-tanks/
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003