250 OUTRAGE: Remove Clamshells and Plug Through-hull Drains in Fish Boxes

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Matt_P

250 OUTRAGE: Remove Clamshells and Plug Through-hull Drains in Fish Boxes

Postby Matt_P » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 pm

I have a 250 Outrage. I have removed the clamshells over the through-hull drains in the in-deck fish boxes. The reason for removing the clamshells is due to dry storing the boat on a rack: the fork lifts used to move the boat would damage the clamshells.

After the clamshells were removed [from the outer end of the fish box through-hull drains] there is a noise--hard to describe) from water going into the through-hull drains at boat speeds of about 30-MPH. I use rubber plugs on the inboard end to plug the drains

Q1: Has anyone else encounter this situation?

Q2: Are there any suggestions on how to plug the through hull?

Q3: Why do the fish boxes have through-hull drains?

Q4: Why not rely just on the pumps to remove the water from the fish boxes?

Q5: Would it be a bad idea to remove altogether the through-hull drains in the fish boxes?

jimh

Re: 250 OUTRAGE: Remove Clamshells and Plug Through-hull Drains in Fish Boxes

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Rather than undertake a modification of the design of your 250 OUTRAGE hull and its through-hull drains, you should work with the boatyard that handles the rack storage of your boat. Teach the boatyard workers how to position the forks on the fork lift so they do not cause damage to the clam shell fittings that are protecting the fish box drains.

Matt_P

Postby Matt_P » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:52 am

Thanks for the response. I agree it would be ideal to have the yard work around the clamshells but the current design of the outrage puts the fish box drains right were the forks go. There is only ~3 inches of error and that is hard to guarantee they won't get hit, especially when removing the boat from the water and you can't look at the hull.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:52 am

Matt_P wrote:Q3: Why do the fish boxes have through-hull drains?

I'll take a guess: Boston Whaler put drains in the in-deck well so they could be de-watered easily when the boat is underway. The clam shell cover creates a Venturi effect and helps to suck water out of the well as long as the boat is making some forward motion. Having drains in all the deep wells is in the DNA of a Boston Whaler. Also, opening the drains on any cockpit sump or well generally causes water to go out of the boat. If the boat became really flooded with water, say a big wave came aboard over the transom, the water would be able to drain out via the drains in the wells--assuming the boat was not down-flooded so much that the transom was awash. An open drain can also act as a fill, filling the fish well with seawater, if desired.

Matt_P wrote:Q4: Why not rely just on the pumps to remove the water from the fish boxes?

I'll guess again: de-watering pumps need a battery to run them. The through-hull can act as a drain or a fill, no electrical power needed

Matt_P wrote:Q5: Would it be a bad idea to remove altogether the through-hull drains in the fish boxes?

Before undertaking that sort of modification, I would let the ten-year hull warranty expire, then talk to Boston Whaler Customer Service and get their opinion.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 am

You are paying for dry rack storage. Part of that service includes the company properly transporting your boat from one location to another on multiple occasions.

Informing the drivers and management as to the proper technique, location of vent covers and any other salient details is a small step rather than modifying a factory designed and fabricated feature.

You could even be so bold as to make a sign warning of hull vent covers and hang it over the transom after using the boat. The forklift operator would see it when putting the boat away as well as when removed from the stack. On entering the boat at the slip, remove the sign and stow it.

Keep in mind the addage "Failure to plan on your part does not necessitate a problem on my part"

If hull vent covers were a problem for Boston Whaler owners who dry stack, there would be dozens of threads over the years. I don't recall any.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 am

Typical "In-N-Out", drystack, and "boatel" storage marinas can be very busy during the boating season. Weekends can be particularly busy. Any expectation that the marina will routinely make fork width adjustments to suit a single customer may result in some disappointment.

On a modern forklift adjustments can be made hydraulically from the operators seat however any markings to indicate the span width are uncommon. The forks on marina forklifts are often well padded to prevent hull damage. Perhaps the marina management can be convinced to add additional padding to avoid damage to any through hull fittings if needed. I'm sure the anxiety is not limited to Matt given the number of boats with through hull fittings in various locations.
Butch

Matt_P

Postby Matt_P » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks for the responses. It was slow today and I had a few minutes to look over the boat with the head operator. Unfortunately the through hulls are located right in the middle of the chine that they use to pick up the boat. They won't use the most outside chine for safety reasons.

I may just have the boat bottom painted, the clam shells reinstalled and get a slip. I prefer rack storage as the boat stays out of the sun and rain.

fno

Postby fno » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 am

Matt, my 210 Outrage also has fishwell drains with clamshells on the outside. 18 years now and the clamshells have been flattened numerous times from hitting the bunks while loading on the trailer. They still function as on day one. They are needed for proper drainage mostly if you do not have macerator pumps installed (as is the case on my boat). I am actually pleased with this arrangement as pumps are notorious for not working when you need or want them and are usually a pain in the a$$ to replace.

Matt_P

Postby Matt_P » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:08 pm

fno, thanks for that info. So the clamshells just get bent? You don't see the screws getting pulled out of the hull? That is my main concern is that damaging the clamshells would create a way for water to seep into the hull. I know the foam is closed cell, but over years I can't imagine that is good.

onokai

Postby onokai » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:53 pm

The clamshells keep the water pressure off the thru hull flange as well as make the venturi effect to drain while running . They need to stay on the boat .
You need to work with your storage operators not modify the hull