Source for Device to Install Buttons and Clips on Vinyl Cushions

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
pred02

Source for Device to Install Buttons and Clips on Vinyl Cushions

Postby pred02 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:35 am

Hi. I have a 2006 Boston Whaler 210 Ventura. The buttons and clips on our vinyl cushions have come apart. We have the replacement buttons from Boston Whaler, but need a stapler of sorts to get them attached again. Can we buy such a device?

Thanks,

IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG (25.65 KiB) Viewed 5493 times

jimh

Re: Snap button installation tool

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 pm

SAIL-RITE makes a snap installation tool for $139. See

https://www.sailrite.com/Pres-N-Snap-Fastener-Tool

If you only have a few new snaps to install, perhaps you would be better off to take the items to a sailmaker and have the snaps installed. I can't imagine the labor charge would be very much.

Phil T

Re: Source for Device to Install Buttons and Clips on Vinyl Cushions

Postby Phil T » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 pm

I think this may be much more cost effective.

https://www.sailrite.com/Snap-Fastener-Installation-Tool

A small step up from that is one from West Marine. The reviews include positive comments when installing snaps on a cushion.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit--canvas-snap-kit-with-clinching-tool-72-pack--15543663?recordNum=4

They may have just the tool in the store.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm

I have one very much like what Phil showed from West Marine. Might even be the same thing, I don't remember where I got it from. In any event, it works great and is very easy to use.
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 pm

PHIL--I can't believe you can buy anything useful for a boat under $3. Congratulations on finding that excellent tool at an unbelievable price.

My theory on tools: buy the good one the first time rather than the second time.

pred02

Postby pred02 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:24 am

This [information in the thread] is perfect, thank you.

macfam

Postby macfam » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:20 am

I simply got tired of all tools that are not up to the job—and that means ALL tools and machines. Boat, home, automotive—you name it.

About six years ago I bought a REAL snap tool—NO REGRETS. And I made lots of friends with it.

https://www.sailrite.com/Pres-N-Snap-Fastener-Tool

[Same tool as mentioned earlier in thread.]

rtk

Postby rtk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:29 am

I have the snap tool that jimh & macfam posted links to. It is an excellent tool.

Sailrite is a great place to deal with. It is a family owned and operated business that has really done well with helping people do their own canvas and sailmaking. I remember meeting them (the family) at the Atlantic City boat show back in 2000 or so when myself and a buddy were making sails and canvas products. I just recently got back into making my own canvas stuff and purchased the LSZ-1 Ultrafeed and a bunch of tools (snap tool, fabric cutting heat tool, etc) from them and the experience with Sailrite was and has been excellent.

Yes you do make friends when you have these tools around, but it's fun to me. Replacing snaps and re-stitching canvas has become a bit of a hobby for me. I made my own console and leaning post canvas covers for my boat. I crew on a 32 Catalina and the owner wanted a spinnaker deck bag to launch the chute. We designed one and I made it and it works pretty good. It's fun and a bit rewarding.

The cheapy snap tools listed absolutely work fine if all one wants to do is get a snap or two back on every once in a while. If you are doing a bunch of snaps the little tool get's a bit tedious but it works.

Rich