Montauk 17 interior restoration project prep

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Fantasea Camp

Montauk 17 interior restoration project prep

Postby Fantasea Camp » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:20 pm

I have an 1984 MONTAUK in Wilmington, NC, and it spends nine months a year in the water in tidal marshes.

This winter, I plan to do some restoration work to the interior. I’m happy with the overall condition of the visible hull.

Last winter, I made some light repairs to a soft breached spot on the lower hull midway down the boat. At that time, I had a persistent drip or seepage coming through the bottom paint.

The boat’s foam may be water logged, but I’m happy with the way the boat currently floats with the 2004 Yamaha 90 two-stroke-power-cycle engine on the transom.

Should I be concerned here?

The MONTAUK has significant soft spots on the deck. The interior has been painted white by a previous owner; the paint is flaking in places. It needs urgent work.

I plan to strip down the boat interior, move and tilt the console, sand down boat interior, and make repairs of divots to gelcoat with resin.

I will drill holes at soft spots and inject resin. I will sand off all textured finishes from floor, and then apply some textured white paint on entire floor to refinish.

Is this a sound plan?

Is something missing?

Am I in way over my head here?

Please help. Thanks.

fillman

Re: Montauk 17 interior restoration project prep

Postby fillman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Sounds familiar..i just joined this club. 74 Montauk 17.