Propeller for Mariner Magnum 2 150hp 1988

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
dknl

Propeller for Mariner Magnum 2 150hp 1988

Postby dknl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm new to boating and cant seem to get the proper propeller.

Can anyone offer help in getting the correct propeller for my outboard motor.
It's a 1988 Mariner Magnum 2 150hp (2 stroke).
I recently went to marine shop and they gave me a prop that said would fot but apon installing it..I found problems with the fitment.
The gearcase hub is around 4 25" which is about the exact (if not smaller) than the propeller end that slides into the gearcase.

I guess i should ask first, if the propellers are supposed to slide into the gearcase hub. From my old propeller it seems it slides in about 1/4 " into the gearcase so that the gearcase hub actually surrounds the end of the propeller. If aftermarket props arent supposed to be seated inside the gearcase then i probably need spacers on top of the thrust washer that came with the hub kit. This would spave out the prop further and prevent rubbing.

What the shop sold me was a Vortex prop (992005) that had the correct specs for my Mariner except that the end is about 4.50" which is bigger than my gearcase hub. When i went back he says this is the correct prop for my boat and doesnt understand the gearcase hub is too small for this prop. The shaft and everything else fits properly. but when installed with the proper hub kit and the thrust washer, it woukd nto spin freely obviously because it would be pressed again the edge of the gearcase hub instead of fitting inside it.

Thanks!