Outrage 22: Replace fuel tank with smaller capacity

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
eriksore

Outrage 22: Replace fuel tank with smaller capacity

Postby eriksore » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:59 pm

I bought a 1990 Outrrage 22 with a 118-gallon fuel tank from Florida Marina Tanks Inc. I think that tank is a replacement for the optional 129-gallon tank.

I plan a renovation and at the same time plan to replace the 118-gallon tank to a 77-gallon.

Does someone have experience [with changing to a 77-gallon tank from a 129-gallon tank] and can tell me what to do with the spare space available when changing to a smaller tank?

Thanks
Erik

jimh

Re: Outrage 22: Replace fuel tank with smaller capacity

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:50 pm

You probably have figured out already that the Outrage 22 with the 77-gallon fuel tank has an aft live well in the cockpit deck, behind the tank and separated by a bulkhead. Boats ordered with the larger tank won’t have the lIve well; the separating bulkhead was removed and the space used for the larger (longer) fuel tank.

Going back to the shorter and lower capacity tank will make the space available again. I don’t recall any reports of what was done in those situations—there might be an account of such a mod in the archives and I just don’t remember it. I would think someone must have done this before.

My 22-footer has the 77-gallon tank and thus has the aft livewell. There is an access cover on the cockpit deck. I use the space in the live well as a wet storage area. Water on the deck can easily drain into the well, so I don’t put anything in the well that can’t tolerate some water.

If you create something akin to the live well as wet storage area, you would have a useful space.

Phil T

Re: Outrage 22: Replace fuel tank with smaller capacity

Postby Phil T » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 am

If you review the REFERENCE (HOME->REFERENCE) section, you will find repair articles showing photos of the fuel tank cavity and the rear well.

Using the search feature (HOME->SEARCH) of the OLD FORUM will also locate threads with details of the process as well as insights and advice. Recommended KEYWORDS would be OUTRAGE TANK REPLACE
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003