RAGE Jet Re-power

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
oski.lynn@gmail.com

RAGE Jet Re-power

Postby oski.lynn@gmail.com » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Has an engine from a SeaDoo model 951 PWC been used to re-power a Boston Whaler RAGE?

daddyjjj

Re: RAGE Jet Re-power

Postby daddyjjj » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 pm

[I am seeking similar] advice.

Henrykjr

Postby Henrykjr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:34 pm

If you dig around on the web you can see that there are three engines that are direct bolt in for the RAGE. The Yamaha 601 is the base motor in this boat. There are two other Yamaha engines that fit on the bottom bolt pattern. That's for 1992 and 1993 model years.

Some people have gone hog wild with Yamaha modifications, doing the entire jet drive system with a 12-vane jet stator, doing a racing impeller, stainless pump housing, adding smart tabs to the boat, and then dumping a Yamaha 700 ski motor in the boat. Results that I have read show about a 39-MPH top speed and a very low engine speed cruise speed somewhere around 2,500-RPM.

In the end I think if you are creative enough you can fit anything into that hole.

A more interesting swap might be to dump the old OMC engine out of the boat. I did research on this similar to you guys and found nothing. More people simply enclosed the hull and dumped an outboard on the boats.

Let me know what you find--HK

whalerguy321

Postby whalerguy321 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pm

I have two RAGE 15 boats. On one I left in the gear box, and I put an outboard on the back with a jackplate. I reinforced the stern with plywood and glassed over it.

On the other I removed everything and glassed it in. I used a jack plate. I reinforced the stern using plywood and fiberglass.

[On the outboard engines] I [added] a 5-inch shaft extension turning both engines into 25-inch shafts. You can tilt [the engine] up [or] down when trailering.

jimh

Re: What is "it" that you glassed in

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:01 am

whalerguy321 wrote:...On the other I removed everything and glassed it in.

I don't follow your description. What is "it" that you glassed in?

jbrobinson33

Postby jbrobinson33 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:28 am

I love the jets so I'm trying to avoid going to outboard power with my Rage 15, which has a blown OMC 115 TurboJet. I would like to increase the power. I've been trying to get information on what engines would drop-in with the current gear box without modification or at only least minor modification.

Give me any suggestions for [engines that will drop-in with the current gear box without modification]

jimh

Re: More clarity please on Yamaha engine direct bolt-in replacements

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 am

Henrykjr wrote:...there are three engines that are direct bolt in for the RAGE. The Yamaha 601 is the base motor in this boat. There are two other Yamaha engines that fit on the bottom bolt pattern.

Please give more details on the two other engines besides the Yamaha 601 that will be a direct bolt-in fit on a RAGE.

Henrykjr

Postby Henrykjr » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Sorry for the late reply on this. Here is the best article I could find on re-powering this boat:

https://sites.google.com/site/bostonwha ... ne-upgrade

This page and a few others are worth bookmarking.