Combined Sidelights Lamp Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Waaves

Combined Sidelights Lamp Replacement

Postby Waaves » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:52 pm

While underway at night on my 130 SPORT, I noticed an uncomfortable amount of glare at the helm coming from the the navigation lights, reducing my night vision. I am considering replacing the present lamp with one that will block this glare. I imagine there are many with experience with a combined sidelight navigation lamp like this:

http://www.specialtymarine.com/BOSTON-W ... -p148.html
[Now a dead link--jimh]

This looks like it would effectively block the glare that I experienced. It is also LED. Any thoughts are appreciated.

jimh

Re: Combined Sidelights Lamp Replacement

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:46 am

Is the light you are getting now at the helm coming from a combined sidelight lamp?

Boston Whaler has a combined sidelight lamp that they have used for many years, going back several decades. The reintroduced it some years ago. I believe you can buy the lamp as a part from a Boston Whaler dealer.

The particular lamp you are pointing to above with your URL is a knockoff or copy of the original Boston Whaler design.

If the lamp on the boat now is a combined sidelight lamp, it would be located at the bow. The helmsman should not be in the direct field of light coming from the lamp. If there is glare from the lamp’s light it must be reflecting off something on the boat. Will replacing one combined sidelight lamp with another make a difference?

Waaves

Postby Waaves » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39 am

The current combined sidelight is original on my 2004 130 Sport. I believe this it the redesigned part.

I am not able to see the bulb itself from the helm, but a significant amount of light is scattering back and is visible from the helm to a degree that it negatively impacts night vision. It is not reflecting off any part of the bow.

The problem may be due to micro scratches on the lens itself. I am looking for one like the one pictured the has a SS backing that completely obstructs the sidelight from view at the helm.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am

The latest model Boston Whaler 13-foot boats seem to be using a combined sidelight lamp that looks quite different than the classic model.

130SPT_CombinedSidelightLamp.jpg
Fig. 1. Combined sidelight lamp on latest model 130 SUPER SPORT. (Photo from Boston Whaler website, with rather strong sunlight glint reflecting into camera.)
130SPT_CombinedSidelightLamp.jpg (3.22 KiB) Viewed 2603 times

What does the combined sidelight lamp look like on your 130 SPORT boat?