Installing trim tabs on a 160 Dauntless

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
GoldenDaze

Installing trim tabs on a 160 Dauntless

Postby GoldenDaze » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Every boat design is a compromise. For the 160 Dauntless, the designers gave a small boat a lot of beam, a huge 45 gallon internal fuel tank, and lots of storage space. The trade-off was that the boat is heavy for its size. Add to that the fact that the boat was designed in the waning days of 2-stroke engines and then powered by heavy first-generation 4-stroke engines, and you have a boat that's naturally a bit heavy in the stern and very sensitive to weight.

Back in 2003 when "Golden Daze" was new, I added a SE Sport 200 hydrofoil to the lower unit to improve trim after a rough day on the Chesapeake. For some years I thought it was the best modification I'd ever made to the boat. A few years ago I replaced the cable steering with hydraulic, and wondered whether perhaps that was the new best modification. Now I've added Lenco limited-space 4x12" trim tabs, and there is no doubt that this is REALLY the best mod to the boat!

Fig. 1. The SE Sport 200 hydrofoil served us reasonably well for 14 years or so, but it was never great. (Golden retriever photobomb at no extra charge)

Fig. 2. If you're going to drill 18 holes in your transom, you damn well better get it right the first time. In this case, I decided that the ladder wasn't going to clear the actuator cylinder, and I moved the trim tab inboard of the ladder. Lenco recommends that any hull strake be 4" away from the edge of the trim tab, so the shift a bit inboard put the strake right about in the center of the tab.

Fig. 2. Here's the starboard trim tab installed, with the actuator just barely inboard of the ladder. At the time it seemed like the ladder was just going to clear the trim tab blade. I had to drill the holes somewhat over-size as compared to the Lenco instructions; the plywood in the transom is rock-hard and did not easily accept the mounting screws. I wondered whether it was actually WhaleBoard, which really wants to be tapped first, but according to my diagrams it really is wood.

Fig. 4. With weight on the swim ladder, it was crushing against the edge of the trim tab. Ultimately my solution was to add some 1/2" StarBoard standoffs to the swim ladder mounting brackets, replacing the 1-1/4" screws with slightly longer 1-1/2" versions.

Fig. 5. Mechanical installation completed. The wiring was pretty straightforward as well. (Rainbow photobomb at no extra charge)

Fig. 6. Now comes the hard part, or at least the part that's most visible to everybody! I must admit that the trim switch on the throttle was awfully convenient, so I tried to locate the trim tab controller as close to the throttle as I could get. That meant that it's somewhat behind the steering wheel and is not as convenient as I'd like, but on a small center console like this one there's not a lot of choices. I installed the switches with LED position indicators; the switches without indicators are a lot cheaper but if you spent the money for a Whaler in the first place you may as well keep your standards high! Somehow I didn't get a photo of the final switch installation, but it looks pretty much like you'd expect.

The results are fabulous. Minimum planing speed is reduced from 18 mph to about 15 mph, but more importantly, minimum "comfortable" speed with the boat solidly on plane and the bow down into chop was reduced from about 22 mph to 18 mph. She hops up on plane more quickly with a lot less bow rise, and up to about 32 mph the trim tabs do a great job flattening out the ride. Above that speed they're no longer useful, and when fully retracted they have no noticeable effect on boat speed.

My usual casual cruise speed is about 22-24 mph, and with the trim tabs extended "3 dots" I get a nice flat ride that cuts nicely through light chop or boat wakes. An unexpected bonus is the ability to trim port-to-starboard; I guess I never noticed before how shifting passengers changes the lateral trim, but now I can just correct it. The other really nice feature is the de-coupling of boat trim and engine angle; now I can trim the engine for neutral steering effort at all speeds where previously anywhere below 25 mph the down-trim on the engine made turns to the left much more wheel effort than turns to the right.

I did notice that when fully loaded (7/8 tank of fuel and 5 adults) I could not get the boat on plane with the trim tabs fully down; the extra drag was just too much. I had to raise the tabs most of the way until she was up on the step, and then trim her as desired. The 2003-era Mercury 115 4-stroke (with the Yamaha F115 powerhead) is reasonably quiet, very fuel efficient, and has been very reliable, but a torque powerhouse it is not.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this upgrade and I wish I'd done it years ago. For those of you running a 160 Dauntless and struggling with trim, I can't recommend enough that you go ahead with the Lenco limited-space trim tabs. You won't be sorry.

-Bob
Last edited by GoldenDaze on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

jimh

Re: Installing trim tabs on a 160 Dauntless

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:12 am

Great information—thanks for posting.

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Wed May 29, 2019 8:38 pm

Good info.

Getting down the bow [of my DAUNTLESS 16] in chop is what I am working on right now. An 18-MPH boat speed is also exactly when the bow [of my DAUNTLESS 16] finally starts to come down. I want this [DAUNTLESS 16] boat for spending time around the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and unfortunately that 10- to 18-MPH boat speed range is probably a speed I would spend a lot of time.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

floater

Postby floater » Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 am

Great write up. I added trim tabs to my Revenge. It now runs like a different boat and has no more lean to port.

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Fri May 31, 2019 6:48 pm

Based on the write-up by [Bob (GoldenDaze)] I ordered Bennet BOLT tabs, also 12 x 4, with the Basic switch for under $400 including shipment. I hope [the Bennett BOLT trim tabs] work out. Love the [DAUNTLESS 16] boat, but I hate that 10- to 18-MPH bow rise.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:14 pm

The Bennett Bolts trim tabs do physically fit my Dauntless 16, but I do not have the actuators wired yet. It doesn't look like they will require spacers under the swim ladder.

The Bennett Bolts trim tabs require I drill more holes: 11 holes for each tab; three holes for each upper bracket; and one hole on each side for the wiring. All total 30-holes will be drilled for two tabs. In comparison, the LENCO trim tabs require 18 holes. I am not sure the number of holes need to install Bennett Bolts trim tabs are an advantage or a disadvantage.

[Four dead links to illustrations deleted]
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

fno

Postby fno » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:46 pm

I just installed the Bolt trim tabs from Bennett (12 x 12) on my 210 Outrage. [There was a problem with the stainless steel screw fasteners supplied with these tabs.] I think Bennett got a bad batch of stainless steel screws from China, and one package of them wound up in my box.

The first set of screws worked fine with the prescribed pilot holes in the transom. The other side was a different story. I spotted the hole locations, drilled to specification, and the first four screws broke off before bottoming out on the tab surface. I wound up relocating the tab by 1/8" and drilling new holes slightly larger and used the same-size 316-grade stainless steel screws purchased from McMaster-Carr with no breakage.

No worries; now I am also a newfound firm-believer in trim tabs. I just regret drilling holes in my boat and then having to fill them up again.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:23 am

FRANK--thanks for the narrative on your installation. You should report this problem with the low-strength screws to Bennett. Let them know they sent sub-standard quality fasteners.

MillieTheBoat

Postby MillieTheBoat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi Bob,

Thank you for writing this upgrade. I've been wondering why my 160 Dauntless seems like an elephant and bow high when getting on plane. I'm not going to do this myself and will have someone do this for me.

Q1: can you list out all the parts requires for this upgrade?

Q2: is the switch included with the kit or it has to be purchased separately?

Q3: does the wiring comes along with the Lenco limited-space 4x12" trim tabs?

Thanks.

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:52 pm

It's pretty simple as you only need two things. The trim tabs come as a set and include the mounting hardware and the cables. You have the choice of electro-polished or not Here's an example (I tend to get a lot of my boating supplies from defender.com but there are plenty of suppliers). https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?na ... id=1951814

The second thing you need is the control switch. They come with or without LED indicators and while the LED one is quite a bit more expensive it's really nice to be able to easily see the trim tax positions. The LED switch will also automatically retract the tabs when the ignition is turned off. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=lenco-led-integrated-switch-kit-(single)-with-leds&path=-1|2331321|2331349|2331354&id=3729945

Other than that all you need is some 3M 4200 or other sealant for the mounting screws, some cable ties for the wiring, a drill and a hole saw. But if you're having it done I'd think you could rely on the installer for all that.

MillieTheBoat

Postby MillieTheBoat » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks Bob.

I think I can manage this after seeing a few YouTube presentations.

Q4: where do you run the cables from the console to the back?

Q5: do you run the cables through the same path as the hydraulic steering hoses?

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Yes, run the cables through the starboard rigging tunnel with the steering lines and the battery cables. I also recently rewired my 12V accessories; I had previously pulled a +12V supply from the gauge cluster, but now I ran a dedicated wire from the main 30A breaker to power the trim tabs, GPS/fishfinder and VHF.

MillieTheBoat

Postby MillieTheBoat » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:24 am

Thank you very much Bob! I am trying to understanding your comment:

I had previously pulled a +12V supply from the gauge cluster, but now I ran a dedicated wire from the main 30A breaker to power the trim tabs, GPS/fishfinder and VHF.

Q6: did you wire the trim tab switch into the on/off switch for the two batteries?

Q7: did you later remove it and install a 30A breaker?

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Let me clarify. The boat's electrical system originally had an 8ga wire from the positive battery terminal to a 30A circuit breaker. From there, a wire (10ga I believe) ran up to the instrument panel and jumped across all the panel breakers. I originally pulled off the accessory breaker to feed the VHF and GPS and sonar and later the trim tabs. The ground wire was more or less similar.

Now I've pulled a new 8ga positive wire of the 30A main breaker and a new 8ga negative wire of the main ground bus bar, and all the accessories are fed from that. As they all have inline fuses, no additional circuit breakers are needed.

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Installed another set of Bennetts Bolts today,

In regards to the screws, the manual states not to use a power screwdriver to install them but their online video shows one being used.

I used a screw gun as it takes a lot of strength to get them tight and it is about 30 screws. Using the correct bit in the driver and backing off the clutch of the screw gun, most of the tab screws became chewed up anyway when the screw bottomed out.

I used the correct odd sized drill bits for the pilot holes.

If I ever have to remove these, it will be a bear.

Also, if I ever installed another set I would source another set of SS screws before hand.

[Dead link removed]
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 pm

[Referring to the now lost illustrations that were linked above] Installation looks great.

Mark182628

Postby Mark182628 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:22 pm

[About three and half years later this thread is revived]

After reading this post I couldn’t help but follow your lead. I have the switch and wiring installed in my [unclear--please give the year, the model designator, and the length when identifying a Boston Whaler boat model]. I haven’t yet mounted the tabs to the transom.

I assume the [preferred location for the trim tabs] would be closer to the chines as you had mocked up initially.

Q8: did you consider doing anything with the [swim] ladder to allow it to clear the [starboard trim] tab [if the trim tabs were mounted closer to the chines]?

Q9: [do you recommend] a different style [swim] ladder?

Q10: [do you recommend] extending the [original swim ladder mounting] brackets for greater clearance?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:13 am

Mark182628 wrote:Q10: [do you recommend] extending the [original swim ladder mounting] brackets for greater clearance?
Re-read the original article. Note the use of KING StarBoard plastic material to extend the swim ladder further from the transom as seen in the illustration identified as Figure 4 above.

Mark182628

Postby Mark182628 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:26 pm

jimh wrote:Re-read the original article. Note the use of KING StarBoard plastic material to extend the swim ladder further from the transom as seen in the illustration identified as Figure 4 above.
I would prefer to mount the [trim] tab under where the ladder currently hangs and extending the OEM hangers will not allow me to do that.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:27 am

Mark182628 wrote:
jimh wrote:Re-read the original article. Note the use of KING StarBoard plastic material to extend the swim ladder further from the transom as seen in the illustration identified as Figure 4 above.
I would prefer to mount the [trim] tab under where the ladder currently hangs and extending the OEM hangers will not allow me to do that.
I don't understand how you could possibly install the trim tab below the swim ladder. The actuator ram for the trim tab would interfere with the swim ladder.

Mark182628

Postby Mark182628 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:55 am

I likely won’t be able to find a “bolt on” option and may not be able to use the OEM swim ladder.

I'll try to work something up.

I will post any results if they’re different from Bob's method.

Thanks for your input.
Mark