AwlGrip Desert Tan

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Binkster

AwlGrip Desert Tan

Postby Binkster » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Anyone wanting to paint their Whaler AwlGrip Desert Tan can get an exact match from Finishmasters Automotive and Industrial Paint and Supply. They are a supplier of AwlGrip products. Call their branch store in Largo Florida, 727-531-7701, ask for Phil "the paint tinter", and order AWLGRIP POLYURATHANE TOPCOAT BASE DESERT SAND.

A couple of years ago when I painted the interior of my 1986 15-footer with AwlGrip, I cut a sample from the console, sanded and polished the sample and gave it to Phil to color match. The paint he came up with is an exact match to my 15-footer. I had him put the formula on file as Desert Sand. He can make up the paint and send it to other branches in the Tampa area, or have your local Finishmasters dealer call him for the formula. They are a national chain.

rich

ollie366

Re: AwlGrip Desert Tan

Postby ollie366 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Great info thanks. I've been looking for a paint to use but nothing matches. What's the smallest quantity that they'll mix and sell?

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:32 am

Why was the color that was made to match the in-situ gel coat color "Desert Tan" on your boat called "Desert Sand"?

It looks like AWLGRIP has a stock color called "Desert Sand." Based on the color seen in a paint shop webpage at

http://www.bottompaintstore.com/awlgrip ... -9912.html

it looks rather darker than Desert Tan.

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:11 am

Beats me.

The color that they made for me is an exact match for my 15-footer. It is not a stock color. It has a custom label. Phil, the paint matcher at the Largo, Florida, Finishmasters store told me he would put the formula on file for $25. I said OK, call it Desert Sand. I ordered more at a later date, using that name, and it was the same color.--rich

Smallfrye

Postby Smallfrye » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Matching Desert Tan is not difficult for any professional paint supplier.

Also consider that the Boston Whaler gel coat " Desert Tan" covers a fairly wide range of color shades based on year, gel lot, damage, or wear of your particular hull; gel coat resin simply fades or stains over time. You should sample the existing color and not feel the " exact color match" will actually match your application.

On my past few projects I have been using PPG's Epoxy Siloxane. This is the same paint as used by the Navy and USCG for use on most marine craft. It has held up extremely well and is easy to spray and touch up.

For spider cracks or any polyester resin damage, I have had great success with floating a barrier coat of epoxy over the entire exterior. It will flood the cracks and holes, and a light finish sanding leaves a new finish to prime. The addition of micro-bloom fillers will make a creamy material but leaves a light textured finish. I like it for a base to primer below the waterline, where adhesion is most critical.

ASIDE: my current project is a 1974 Classic 19 (#74) which has this recipe: BLX-4, ROX1, WTX-1Y YOX-35. Any PPG Commercial supplier can mix this to achieve a perfect match to my 1974 hull color. Please consider this hull spent several years partially submerged in the back water of a Virginia marina, where it was sun baked in the summer, frozen in the winter and generally abused to the point of being considered a salvage or trash hull. The gelcoat is unusually thin, so was probably discolored to the base glass. I used the underside of the forward hatch cover after sanding, buffing and polishing to obtain a sample color to work with.

TFrere

Postby TFrere » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 pm

[Revives this thread after it has been dormant for two years and seven months]

I would like to paint the non-skid on my 1985 Sport 15, and I’m hoping the Awlgrip Desert Sand is a close enough match. I see they have the color in multiple products.

Have any readers of this thread tried the Awlgrip Desert Sand [in the last two years and seven months since this thread was last updated]?
1985 15’ Sport with Yamaha F70

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 am

Just to clarify:

Boston Whaler calls their gel coat color Desert Tan.
Awlgrip calls their paint color Desert Sand.
An individual says a custom color was mixed specifically for him by a local paint shop and was also called Desert Sand.