Montauk 190 Front Railings

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ferdinando

Montauk 190 Front Railings

Postby ferdinando » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:36 pm

A few week ago I was out at one of our small local cays and saw a Montauk 190 with its front railings lowered to just 5 or 6 inches above the gunwale. It looked nice and gave the boat a racy and sporty look. The gentleman was passing by so I did not have the opportunity to speak with him. The same thing happened a few months ago with a 170 with lowered railings.

Have any of you 190 owners lowered your front railings?

If so by how much?

I’d like to do mine. It really changes the look of the boat.

Fred

Jefecinco

Re: Montauk 190 Front Railings

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 am

Fred--We shopped all over the country looking for a new 190 without a bow rail. We were lucky to find one at an advantageous price. Our 190 is used for fishing 90% and cruising 10%. The Dauntless 16 we owned at the time had a bow rail and we found it a hindrance when trying to land larger fish, thus our desire for the replacement boat to be without.

I think the boat looks better without the rail and find it easier to anchor, dock and deal with launching and retrieving. We have not yet had children aboard and limit loading to five adults, non swimmers are asked to wear inflatable PFDs when underway or fishing so we don't believe safety is compromised.

The buyer of our Dauntless had the bow rail supports shortened by a local rail fabricator and it is now about five inches high. It looks good and has better utility. A lower bow rail is probably a better solution that eliminating it. When the boat is sold the lack of a bow rail may shrink the buyer pool.
Butch

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Like Butch, we don't have bow railings on our 190 Montauk. I've never been on the boat and thought "I wish we had railings".

But, I can see what you mean - having short railings would probably look good!
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 pm

Thanks appreciate the opinions!