13-footer Adding Cleats

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
supersport

13-footer Adding Cleats

Postby supersport » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 am

Recently I acquired a well-preserved c.1980 SUPER SPORT 13 boat. I want to install cleats that are really useful in Venezia, where the boat lives. I'm used to Boston Whaler boats since I've owned a TEMPTATION 2500 for many years.

Give me suggestion or pictures of cleats on a 13-footer.

I don't want to ruin my new hull.

Phil T

Re: 13-footer Adding Cleats

Postby Phil T » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 am

There are no cleats on a 13 Sport.

Owners should use the bow eye for their bow line. A second line can be attatched to the norman pin.

For a stern line, use the outside transom eyes.

If you need a spring line (amidships) some tie the line around the seat.

The fenders in the photo are deployed horizontal and the line is routed under the seats and can be moved side to side.

Note the blue bow and stern lines in this photo of my brother's 13 Sport. He has since moved up to a 15 Sport.

rob august 2004.jpg
rob august 2004.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

supersport

Postby supersport » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you Phil. However, since in Venezia cleats are useful, I'll try to add one on both sides drilling two vertical thru 6mms holes just by the rub rail. I will use marine SS 316L, with washer and bolts on the lower part of cleat. Each cleat has two attaching 6mms rods and the SS washer is covering both. For the moment I will not install cleats on bow, just by the transom, where the red arrows show: I think the area is strong enough
Attachments
180918cleats13ss.jpg
180918cleats13ss.jpg (47.02 KiB) Viewed 3849 times

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Keep in mind that there is no wood reinforcement in the gunwale in the area you are talking about. (I mean in the horizontal plane)
It seems however that there is a small wood reinforcement area on the inside (in vertical plane)
Search for "Wood Diagrams" for your model Super Sport or contact Boston Whaler Customer Service to acquire such diagram before drilling 6mm holes and discovering it will not hold a cleat.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:52 pm

On my 1976 SPORT 15 boat there were originally no cleats.

A previous owner apparently installed a small cleat on the gunwale tops amidships.

midshipCleat.jpg
Fig. 1. Midship cleat added to SPORT 15 by a previous owner. I did not have faith in the strength of the fastening of this cleat to the hull.
midshipCleat.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 3821 times

The location of that cleat almost amidships was not particularly useful. Also, I did not have much confidence in the strength of the mounting of the cleat to the hull. I removed the pair of cleats and repaired the mounting holes. If I needed a fender amidships, I would just hang it from the railing.

I re-installed the cleats in the stern, mounting them to the inwale, where there was some wood reinforcement embedded in the hull. At the stern quarter the cleats were much more useful. I used them for a mooring line if I were going to temporarily tie to a dock. I also used them to hang a fender over the side to protect the hull. A fender about a foot forward of the transom is a very useful fender when the boat is lying against a pier or dock. I would not use the cleats for mooring if I were going to leave the boat unattended. I would use the stern towing eyes for that situation. The stern towing eyes are strong enough to lift the boat.

sternQuarterCleatOnInwale.jpg
Fig. 2. Cleat on inwale at stern quarter, a much more useful location and a better mounting point for strength.
sternQuarterCleatOnInwale.jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 3821 times