Fuel Tank Replacement and Re-rigging Project

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spc337

Fuel Tank Replacement and Re-rigging Project

Postby Spc337 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Fuel Tank Replacement Project continues.

I was finally able to remove the rigging from the console and remove it from the deck. I slid it to the bow and removed the guts so I can sit in the forward well with easy access to rewire.

With the Deck lifted, I finally had easy access to the tank. The tank was replaced in 2007 with a brand new one from Florida Marine Tanks. I suspect the work was done poorly given the premature failure. In the photos below, you will see many surface corrosion holes and plenty sludge consisting of Fuel and Water (nearly 2-gallons plus whatever is still in the foam).

I don't think the yard that replaced the tank pulled all the existing foam and replaced with new foam, given the various types of foam I'm seeing and clearly different layers.

What led to the tank corrosion?

I've included a few photos of the bonding wire which I suspect wasn't done right but I'm no expert.

I did notice that there is a clear line of holes that ran under the fill hose. This was something I had to replace initially as the hose had collapsed and would no longer easily allow the tank to fill. It's probably a factor only in that it was sitting on the tank and probably held moisture against the metal. I found pitting elsewhere and a smaller hole near the pickups. All of the damage was on the surface from what I can see.

TheProject.jpg
Fig. 1. Deck and Console removed
TheProject.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 3871 times

TankHole1.jpg
Fig. 2. One of the Larger Holes
TankHole1.jpg (58.55 KiB) Viewed 3871 times

TankCavitySludge.jpg
Fig. 3. Fuel and Water sitting in the Tank Cavity
TankCavitySludge.jpg (63.82 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

Don SSDD

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement / Re-rigging Project...

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:46 am

Was the filler neck grounded to the tank? Was it a wire filled marine grade fill hose?
Don
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

Spc337

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement / Re-rigging Project...

Postby Spc337 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Yes - the one that was there when I purchase the boat was marine A-2 and grounded. I don’t know if the wire in the hose was grounded but the fill neck was.

I suspect the water was able to sit between the pipe and tank allow crevice corrosion but there were several holes in other areas including one on the side.

I need to find an install method without foam. Not quite sure how I’ll brace the tank without foam.
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

Don SSDD

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement and Re-rigging Project

Postby Don SSDD » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 am

Boston Whaler boats with aluminum tanks were all installed with foam. They last as long as 20 to 30-years, or longer. I'm guessing your problem with corrosion was electrolysis from poor grounding. You might think it could be the wrong foam was used on the tank replacement but not sure how that could cause rust.

Earlier this year I installed new ground wires and fuel lines on my 1986 boat. It had original fuel lines and the fuel tank is original. No problem with corrosion under the fuel fill line. Check my posts for Jim's advice on the wire to use and the connections to make for the grounding of the tank.

Don
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

jimh

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement and Re-rigging Project

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:30 am

For some comments on the BONDING CIRCUIT used in Boston Whaler boats from their classic era which is alluded to above, see

Bonding Circuit
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3898

and

Fuel System Ground Wiring on c.1986 OUTRAGE
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427