Fuel Tank Replacement and Re-rigging Project

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spc337

Fuel Tank Replacement and Re-rigging Project

Postby Spc337 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Fuel Tank Replacement Project continues.

I was finally able to remove the rigging from the console and remove it from the deck. I slid it to the bow and removed the guts so I can sit in the forward well with easy access to rewire.

With the Deck lifted, I finally had easy access to the tank. The tank was replaced in 2007 with a brand new one from Florida Marine Tanks. I suspect the work was done poorly given the premature failure. In the photos below, you will see many surface corrosion holes and plenty sludge consisting of Fuel and Water (nearly 2 gallons + whatever is still in the foam).

I don't think the yard that replaced the tank pulled all the existing foam and replaced with new foam given the various types of foam I'm seeing and clearly different layers.

My question to the group is what led to the tank corrosion? I've included a few photos of the bonding wire which I suspect wasn't done right but I'm no expert..

I did notice that there is a clear line of holes that ran under the fill hose. This was something I had to replace initially as the hose had collapse and would no longer easily allow the tank to fill. It's probably a factor only in that it was sitting on the tank and probably held moisture against the metal. I found pitting elsewhere and a smaller hole near the pickups. All of the damage was on the surface from what I can see.
Attachments
TheProject.jpg
TheProject.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
TankHole1.jpg
TankHole1.jpg (58.55 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
TankCavitySludge.jpg
TankCavitySludge.jpg (63.82 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

Spc337

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement / Re-rigging Project...

Postby Spc337 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Here is a picture of the Bonding wire.. It ran from the Ground Bus Bar to the tank. From this point, individual wires ran to the Pickup and Fuel Filler (not the vent - not sure if that matters) and a wire running out to the stern. I need to check where that wire goes.

Is this the proper way to bond everything? There were two other tabs on the tank that were not bonded, nor was the Pickup - but I didn't see anywhere to bond with that.
Attachments
BondingWiring.jpg
BondingWiring.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 4485 times

Spc337

Postby Spc337 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Here is the cavity with the fuel tank mostly out. I now need to figure out how to remove the remaining foam and clean everything. Any recommendations?
Attachments
TankCavity.jpg
TankCavity.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 4485 times

floater

Postby floater » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Start scraping that foam out with a spatula. When I did mine it all came out rather easily once tank was removed. After I got it all out I scrubbed and polished the cavity. Instead of using expanding foam I used those foam floor mats they put in children play areas.

Spc337

Postby Spc337 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:08 pm

I've been able to get most of the foam out with the help of a pressure washer. I've been scraping with a paint scraper but still not getting the last bits off— any ideas? I'd rather not resort to sanding. And not sure if Acetone would help or just create other problems.
Attachments
CleanedTankCompartment.jpg
CleanedTankCompartment.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 4414 times

KARLOW

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement and Re-rigging Project

Postby KARLOW » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:27 am

Looks good.
I just went through that on my vintage Outrage.
I did not replace the foam, it seemed dry so I just cleaned it.
The main concern is poor design, on the Outrage. With an Outrage, if there is water on the front deck, you are likely to end up with water on the top of the tank. If your bilge gets too full, you get water on the tank. If any one of foour deck plated leak, more water on the deck. So over time you get water in the tank locker. The locker does not drain. As we all know the foam is water resistant not water proof. Over time the water will permeate in or out of the foam. On your next tank, I would make sure it is fully coated with a water proof coating. I foamed mine in place and sealed the foam with a water proof coating as well to keep water from getting into the locker. Most of my tank failures were on top of the tank. That tank had zinc primer on it. I also dammed the fuel hose area, and the same location on the starboard side. That way the water on the fore deck can get aft without going thru the locker.

floater

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement and Re-rigging Project

Postby floater » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:37 am

When I rebuilt my tank on my 88 Revenge 20 WT I added a piece of clear hose and a ninety degree fitting and another hose onto that fitting that extends into the bilge area. After a rainfall I hook up a 12 volt pump and pump out the cavity area. Some times it takes almost 15 minutes of pumping to get out all the water that accumulates in there. After draining, if i'm not heading out, i pop off the deck plates and let it all air out. It's been over two years now and the tank and the cavity still look clean and new.