Outrage 22 Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spc337

Outrage 22 Console

Postby Spc337 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:20 pm

I just lifted the super console [on a Boston Whaler Outrage 22] and noticed what I believe to be indications that this boat had a different console at some point.

Any clues?

More curiosity than anything else.

I will want to fill the old openings to eliminate the obvious water intrusion opportunities.

I also need to replace the wood runners for my current console.

I'm assuming that wood is just teak.

Anyone have a source?

Should I just get a piece of teak and cut it?

I'm not sure if the small pattern in these is necessary or if I can just make it easy and place a 2 x 2 teak piece.
Attachments
DeckUnderConsole.jpg
DeckUnderConsole.jpg (46.15 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
Console.jpg
Console.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

Stayinstrewn

Re: Outrage 22 Console Question...

Postby Stayinstrewn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:04 pm

I would cover that round hole, but first, coat the exposed core with epoxy.

Then on that opening where all the rigging comes up, add a ‘dam’. I don’t know what its officially called, but if you call Sue at Twin Cities Marine in MInnesota she will know what you are talking about.

In fact, you probably have it on the shelf of your console already.

If that’s the case, I’d just take that off and put it on the deck, all for the purpose of keeping water from entering thru the deck and into the fuel tank cavity.

Also, be sure to seal the core again in that location as well.

You should be fine with a straight cut piece of teak.

On my 1979 Outrage V-22 also with the super console, there are 5-inch-long bolts on the four corners securing the console to those pieces of teak. In addition, I had a local fabricator make three angled pieces of aluminum, one along the entire front of the console, and one in each corner on the aft side. This completely locked the console down to the deck. [You] might want to look into that.

Are you recoring your deck and inspecting the fuel tank while your console is off?

I would take the time to do that now while its all taken apart.

Good luck.
Wasque - 1979 Outrage 22, Honda 225

Spc337

Re: Outrage 22 Console

Postby Spc337 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks.

My console was secured to the teak runners by a series of large screws of which many had lost their bite.

I do plan to provide better sealing and to replace the boot for the rigging tunnel. The boot is on my shelf, but I’m planning to get a new one.

I do plan to seal the deck core. It’s in good shape overall; just one corner has some rot. I’m hoping the epoxy will stabilize that without needing to cut out the rot. I’d rather not fully re-core.

This project was necessitated due to a fuel leak which is now confirmed was a premature failure of the fuel tank. There are numerous holes across the top of the tank. I will be ordering a new tank shortly and in other threads I’m searching for methods to install without foam. I will be installing a draining mechanism for the fuel compartment.
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

Stayinstrewn

Re: Outrage 22 Console

Postby Stayinstrewn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:36 pm

I added a drain as well—a good plan.
Wasque - 1979 Outrage 22, Honda 225