Identify Engine Accessory from Photo; Finding Owner's Manual for 30-year-old outboard engines

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Wyowanderer

Identify Engine Accessory from Photo; Finding Owner's Manual for 30-year-old outboard engines

Postby Wyowanderer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:53 pm

I just purchased a1988 17 Super Sport Limited with a Johnson 90-HP outboard engine [that has an odd accessory attached to the midsection]. What is the device [seen below] used for? Thank you

steeringBracket.jpg
Fig. 1: Unknown device attached to the mid-section of a 90-HP outboard engine.
steeringBracket.jpg (6.94 KiB) Viewed 5189 times

[Nota bene: the original image shown consisted of about 75-percent of the image as a black background. The image has been replaced with a new image that just shows the item to be identified. The file size was reduced by a factor of 1:22.--jimh]

jimh

Re: Attached device

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 pm

My guess: the pictured device was part of a steering link to allow the main engine to steer an auxiliary engine.

Wyowanderer

Re: How to get manual for 1988 OMC engine

Postby Wyowanderer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Thank you for your prompt response. There is a 6hp Evinrude next to it with the exact same device. Very interesting.

Do you have a recommendation how to get a manual for a 1988 Johnson 90-HP?

jimh

Re: Outboard engine manual resources

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:15 pm

For advice on literature from engine manufacturers, see my article in the REFERENCE section of the website:

Outboard Engine Owner's Manuals
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... nuals.html

Unfortunately the Outboard Marine Corporation that made your engine went bankrupt while under control of multi-billionaire George Soros. I don't think Soros will be very helpful if you contact him seeking an owner's manual. The present owners of the Johnson and Evinrude brands is Bombardier Recreational Products, and they have made available free downloads of the manuals for engines they sold, going back to c.2004. BRP does not have free downloads of manuals OMC sold before they became the owner.

One possible source for a manual for your 30-year-old outboard engine may be to locate and buy an OEM manual sitting unsold on a dusty shelf at a longtime dealer of OMC engines. There may also be a print-on-demand publisher that can reprint an old manual, but if that provider is still around, the price will likely be steep. Or post a notice of WANTED-TO-BUY in MARKETPLACE.

Wyowanderer

Re: Identify Engine Accessory from Photo; Finding Owner's Manual for 30-year-old outboard engines

Postby Wyowanderer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Thank you again. Great information. I will let you know if I come across one that could assist fellow boaters with this engine.

frontier

Re: Identify Engine Accessory from Photo; Finding Owner's Manual for 30-year-old outboard engines

Postby frontier » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:09 pm

That engine steering accessory shown as identified by jimh is still made by the EZ Steer Company, formerly of Washington State, now owned by Marine Tech Products in MN.
I have an original owners manual for a early 1990's Johnson 90 HP V4 outboard. Should be the same as your 1988. ( Maybe the OMC Johnson Evinrude experts out there can say for sure) Be glad to send it to you, no charge. If you want it, just e-mail me your mailing address and I'll mail it to you.

Wyowanderer

Postby Wyowanderer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:51 pm

frontier wrote:That engine steering accessory shown as identified by jimh is still made by the EZ Steer Company, formerly of Washington State, now owned by Marine Tech Products in MN.
I have an original owners manual for a early 1990's Johnson 90 HP V4 outboard. Should be the same as your 1988. ( Maybe the OMC Johnson Evinrude experts out there can say for sure) Be glad to send it to you, no charge. If you want it, just e-mail me your mailing address and I'll mail it to you.

I sent you a private message with my address, did you get it? Thank you I would love to have the manual, something is better than nothing...usually!

Wyowanderer

Postby Wyowanderer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Thank you adjusting my picture.

frontier

Postby frontier » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:29 am

No, have not received an e-mail from you.

Wyowanderer

Postby Wyowanderer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:47 am

frontier wrote:No, have not received an e-mail from you.

I originally sent as a pm (private message) but just resent as email. Again many thanks!