OUTRAGE 22 Console Mounting Bracket

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spc337

OUTRAGE 22 Console Mounting Bracket

Postby Spc337 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:37 pm

On my Outrage 22 I need to replace the wood and aluminum mounting brackets which support the console; they consist of wood runners bolted to a flat aluminum bracket which is screwed down to the deck. I assume the wood is teak.

What kind of wood should I use?

I am assuming teak 2 x 2 lumber. Maybe there is a cheaper alternative. The ones I removed look like they were varnished. I will likely seal them with something low maintenance since they will be inaccessible and out of sight.

The aluminum is okay on one side but the other has pitting and some areas of corrosion. I should be able to find someone to match it for me.

Is there a particular grade of aluminum I need to use?
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

Spc337

Re: Console floor rails need replacing?

Postby Spc337 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:02 am

DD0F2ED6-0EC5-412E-9F5F-04F5520B9C0F.jpeg
Fig. 1. Console mounting runners on OUTRAGE 22.
DD0F2ED6-0EC5-412E-9F5F-04F5520B9C0F.jpeg (31.37 KiB) Viewed 5717 times

jimh

Re: OUTRAGE 22 Console Mounting Bracket

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 am

Aluminum is usually very durable, and I would expect you could clean the existing aluminum brackets and re-use them.

A typical aluminum alloy widely used for structural elements and good strength is 6061-T6 alloy. That is a high tensile strength alloy typically used in applications where resistance to bending is needed. It is also easily machined.

For the console brackets, which I think are just some L-channel pieces, I don't think the aluminum is under much bending stress, so you could use just about any grade.

If the wood won't ever been seen again, you might find that teak lumber will be a luxury due to its cost. You could use a less expensive wood. If you want to give the wood protection from water intrusion, coat it with epoxy resin.

You might also consider raising the console mounting height. A number of people have done this, particularly people who are taller than 6-feet. Here is an example of a raised console from another OUTRAGE 22, the beautiful boat SPOUTER:

Fig. 1. Console riser on SPOUNTER, an Outrage 22. This nice work was done by Jerry K, who unfortunately made his final voyage several years ago at a far too young age.

Spc337

Postby Spc337 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:51 am

My aluminum is flat. The wood was bolted thru and then the console was sandwiched between to pieces of wood which were screwed together. I have a super console which doesn’t appear to be original since there is a capped rigging tunnel cutout and two rows of screws that were filled. I wonder if the aluminum I have was used to offset the console mount.

The L channel in your photo looks like it would be a stronger connection.

I’ll try to clean mine up but there is some corrosion on one side that may force replacement. Aside from sanding, is the a chemical that will help remove the corrosion?

For the wood, I just need something strong and rot resistant. Maybe African mahogany epoxy coated. I need to go visit the lumber yard.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:55 am

ROGER on the super console. It is significantly larger and different from the one I pictured above. The L-channel aluminum adds a lot of stiffness to the molded sides of the regular console.

To clean up aluminum try a Brillo-pad and hot water. Usually the oxidation layer is not very thick and will come off without too much abrasion.

BBS

Postby BBS » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am

I replaced my aluminum plates this summer with 6061 T6 alloy. I sent the dimensions to a company called Metal Supermarket and I picked them up the next day. I am in Houston but there are other locations across the country. The plates were received cut to size, I just had to bore and countersink for the screws and bolts. The 2 plates were under $20. I also replaced the instrument panel for under $10 as I replaced my fuel tank and it had an electronic sender so a level gauge was required and I reconfigured the panel layout. I also raised the console but used treated 4x4 which I then trimmed in teak to hide. The risers can be replaced without too much difficulty so I used the pressure treated lumber to get the dimensions right and figured if they don't last I'll replace with teak or mahogany. This is a screenshot of my dash.
dash.jpg
dash.jpg (207.51 KiB) Viewed 5670 times

Spc337

Postby Spc337 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 am

Looks great. Can you share a picture of the whole console?

BBS

Postby BBS » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:11 am

Look for a picture on 10/22. My boat is about 3 hrs away and I won't be down there until that weekend.

BBS

Postby BBS » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:07 pm

A couple of pics:
Attachments
console 2.jpg
console 2.jpg (130.8 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
console 1.jpg
console 1.jpg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 5549 times

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:01 am

Spc337 wrote:I’ll try to clean mine up but there is some corrosion on one side that may force replacement. Aside from sanding, is the a chemical that will help remove the corrosion?

For the wood, I just need something strong and rot resistant. Maybe African mahogany epoxy coated. I need to go visit the lumber yard.

I would not use a chemical on the aluminum just elbow grease (brillo pad, or rough steel wool and some soap) although there are aluminum restorers available often used on aluminum boats as manufactured by Aurora Marine or 3M and others. As mentioned before you don't really need T6 and if you need to replace anything available from the local hardware or box store will do for the reinforcement you need.
Your mahogany (hard to find) will be most likely be a luan but with good penetrating epoxy sealant should give you many years of trouble free usage and will be a lot less expensive than teak.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot