170 Montauk Anchor Roller Installation

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
love my whaler

170 Montauk Anchor Roller Installation

Postby love my whaler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:11 am

I want to install an anchor roller on my 2014 170 Montauk. Any suggestions on installation would be great--thanks.

jimh

Re: 170 Montauk Anchor Roller Installation

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:34 am

Typically on a 170 MONTAUK boat the centerline position at the bow is taken by the combined sidelight navigation lamp fixture.

Typically an anchor roller--a device with a wheel in a framework designed to guide an anchor when it is lowered or raised--is mounted at the bow on centerline.

Where do you plan to mount the anchor roller on the 170 MONTAUK?

love my whaler

Postby love my whaler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:47 pm

I am considering mounting it to port of the navigation lamp and chock hardware. I realize the this will cause the boat to cant in a current.

My goals are twofold: remain more safely in the cockpit than on the foredeck when hoisting the anchor; stop dragging the rode and CHAIN across the rubrail and the deck.

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 am

I usually stand in the anchor locker when deploying and recovering the anchor. The locker cover opens to port on our 190 Montauk which makes it easy to control the rode and avoid dragging the chain. We have lined the locker with dri-deck so water in the locker is not a problem.
Butch

love my whaler

Postby love my whaler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for the tip. I've done that as well.

On the 170 MONTAUK the anchor locker is very small and narrow, and to stand there and feed the rode around my feet is tough. Maybe if I practice I can do a better job.

Thanks so much for the reply.

--Doug

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:00 pm

I have doubt that having the anchor rode running through an anchor roller attached slightly off center line will create enough offset force that those forces will cause the boat to lie at an angle to the current or wind. More likely the boat will lie to the current, whose force is acting on the entire hull and will have a much longer lever arm on the boat position that the very small offset of the anchor roller and its leading of the rode slightly off-center. The more likely outcome is the the anchor rode will lead off the anchor roller at an angle, and probably will abrade on the metal sides of the frame that holds the roller.

Do you expect to use the anchor roller as a place to stow the anchor when not in use?

love my whaler

Postby love my whaler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm

I was hoping to be able to secure the anchor on the roller.