What Solvent To Soak Power Head Before Reinstallation

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Iceboy149

What Solvent To Soak Power Head Before Reinstallation

Postby Iceboy149 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm in the process of rehabbing my 1990 Johnson 200-HP.

[In what solvent should] the heads be soaked in before reinstallation?

I'm cleaning them the best I can. I'd like to soak them in something.

Thanks.
Dave

Jefecinco

Re: What Solvent To Soak Power Head Before Reinstallation

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 am

What are you trying to remove from the heads? Are they simply dirty and oily or are we discussing cylinder head carbon. Are the power heads assembled?

For routine parts cleaning any solvent available from an automotive parts supplier should do a good job. When shopping it may be useful to let the seller know you will also be cleaning aluminum.
Butch

Iceboy149

Postby Iceboy149 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:10 pm

The motor sat for three years (had kids and built a house) and it needs a new stator, timer base, and flywheels magnets. The water was also always super hot I thought coming out of the hole. So before I dropped $800 in parts on a 30 yr old motor I just thought i’d strip the whole thing down over this winter and give her a good once over. The motor has good compression so if I’m going this route I’m leaving no stone unturned.

DualDauntless

Postby DualDauntless » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm having good results with brake cleaner and a paint brush brass brush for stubborn build up

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 pm

For degreasing motors from outboards, snowmobiles, quads and more, I've always used Purple Power full strength with a brush and it takes everything off. I then rinse with a hose and then spray with air to remove any water, followed by spraying oil on any cylinder liners or other steel/cast iron parts. The oil prevents any rust and also aids in assembly.

D-