Auxiliary Engine Install

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ferdinando

Auxiliary Engine Install

Postby ferdinando » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm

I am finally going to install a kicker on my 2008 190 Montauk at the end of this month. I called Tanner who makes custom brackets for our boats and they advised me that they no longer have any in stock and don't foresee producing these brackets in the near future.

Here is the setup I am thinking of installing. Brand new Suzuki 9.9 4 Stroke (I like the fuel injection). Its my understanding that a
20" shaft length is the way to go. I also plan to use a Garelick/Eez In Aluminum Bracket. I have 2 choices, one has a 9.5" vertical travel and the other has 15.5" of travel, which would be the better choice? There is also a 304 Stainless Steel bracket from Garelick also, but I'm not sure if the aluminum bracket is stronger then the SS.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome and appreciated!

Thks,

Fred

Jefecinco

Re: Auxiliary Engine Install

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:12 am

Fred - When considering a bracket you may want to look at the possibility of attaching an arm to the main engine to allow steering the kicker with the helm steering. Bracket travel may influence the capability.
Butch

Dutchman

Re: Auxiliary Engine Install

Postby Dutchman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:56 pm

ferdinando wrote:I am finally going to install a kicker on my 2008 190 Montauk at the end of this month.

There is also a 304 Stainless Steel bracket from Garelick also, but I'm not sure if the aluminum bracket is stronger then the SS.

Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome and appreciated! Thks, Fred

Fred no matter how you look at it; the 304 SS is always stronger and more corrosion resistant than aluminum of the same construction would be. The aluminum is of course lighter.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot