Trailer bunks

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Britgael

Trailer bunks

Postby Britgael » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Good day all, I have a 1992 17' Montauk, and—before I start slicing and dicing wood—what is the ideal length of bunks that I'm putting on the trailer frame?

I have all the parts I need, I just have to break out the saw at this point. I'm pulling off the rollers. I was advised rollers are bad news for my Whaler.

Any help would be glorious. Thanks

jimh

Re: Trailer bunks

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:18 am

Boston Whaler boats like a classic 17-foot Montauk like to be kept on a trailer that has two or three keel rollers and one pair of lateral bunks. Most weight goes onto the keel rollers.

An all-bunk trailer is okay, too, if it has a second pair of bunks close to the keel.

Old-style floppy roller trailers are not recommended.

The length of a bunk board is determined by the spacing between the two supports. The bunks can extend beyond the supports somewhat.

There is a long, detailed, illustrated article about trailers for Boston Whaler boats in the Reference section:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/

Britgael

Postby Britgael » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Thank you, admirable information. Take care.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 am

In doing some additional research, I came across some c.1970 literature that included trailer recommendations. I have added this new information to the Reference Section article on trailer set-up. Here is the new information I found and added:

Trailering Tips

Boston Whaler boats do not require special trailers, but selection should be based on the following important considerations:

1. Load ratings:
    • 13' - 600 lbs
    • 16' - 1200 to 1600 lbs
    • 19' - 25001bs
    • 19' sterndrive - 3000 lbs
    • 21' - 3000 lbs
    • Avoid either under- or over-rating.
  2. For long haul, use biggest available tires.
  3. Use wooden side supports--not rollers. Side rollers may become misdirected and damage boat.
  4. Keel rollers must take nearly all the weight, bearing on keel, not adjacent hull surface.
  5. Winch stand should have bow stop above the bow eye. This allows winch to pull eye straight in and provides security in a panic stop.
  6. Flat chassis type trailers are required for 19-and 21-foot models. Trailers designed for deep-V boats cause sponsons to rub on fenders.