Outrage Rigging Tunnel Boot

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spc337

Outrage Rigging Tunnel Boot

Postby Spc337 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:00 am

IMG_3548.jpg
Fig. 1. Device found in console
IMG_3548.jpg (46.71 KiB) Viewed 2562 times

My boat arrived with the device seen above installed on a shelf within the console. There wasn't anything on the deck. Thus any water that sloshed under the console would certainly end up in the rigging tunnel.

To prevent as much water as possible from getting below deck I would like to install a similar boot and seal it to the deck .

Any idea what this is called?
Where I can find one?
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

jimh

Re: Outrage Rigging Tunnel Boot

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:02 am

I don't know the Boston Whaler company nomenclature for that device, but I would refer to it as a rigging tunnel boot or gasket or dam or escutcheon. Usually you see them installed around the deck opening at the rigging tunnel under the console. The shape is matched to the shape of the rigging tunnel opening. As you describe, the purpose of having such a device at the rigging tunnel access at the helm is to prevent water that is sloshing around the deck from entering the rigging tunnel. The ones I have seen that are OEM with Boston Whaler are usually white and a close match to the gel coat color of the boat deck.

I suggest you contact Boston Whaler customer service, and inquire with them if that device you found on the console shelf was an OEM part. Ask if there is a similar part for the rigging tunnel on your boat. Or, you could fabricate something similar yourself with some appropriately shaped metal or plastic L-channel.

Phil T

Re: Outrage Rigging Tunnel Boot

Postby Phil T » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:39 pm

I have seen the rigging flange in two variations. A full oval and 2 halves.

My Outrage 17 had two halves. One on the deck floor, one on the console shelf. I took both and made a full oval and installed it on the rigging opening on the deck and didn't use anything in the console.

I doubt one is still manufactured. I would fabricate an alternative out of a rectangular piece of sheet plastic or 1/4" phenolic, cut 2" dia hole and attach a Yamaha rigging grommet (boat end). Apply sealant under grommet and under the sheet prior to attaching to the deck.

Yamaha Rigging boot (http://www.simyamaha.com)

iu.jpg
iu.jpg (13.86 KiB) Viewed 2541 times

My new flange installed:
newflange.jpg
newflange.jpg (54.43 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003