Summer storage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Billp

Summer storage

Postby Billp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:24 am

Left my Outrage 190 in Fort Myers for nine months (March - November) on a trailer and shrink wrapped. Upon returning I found black mold on the entire interior surface. A lot of money to get it as clean as possible. The wrapper installed vents and packets to absorb moisture. Not sure how they were made but two baseball size holes were in the wrap. Any suggestions on how to summerize the boat to avoid the mold (can't do that again to my buddy boat)? Thanks, Bill

Dutchman

Re: Summer storage

Postby Dutchman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:41 am

Your best bet is to install a solar powered ventilator. Mount it in the shrink wrap using a backing plate. Some vents and the fan positive should give positive ventilation. Good luck next year.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:01 am

Before the boat is wrapped it should be as clean and dry as possible. Check everywhere for water. If possible it could help for the boat to finish drying for a few days before wrapping. I also recommend elevating the tongue jack as much as possible and removing the garboard drain plug to allow as much condensate as possible to drain out during storage. The boat should be as level, side to side, as possible. I would also open all covers and hatches to allow ventilation.
Butch

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Florida is tough environment to shrink-wrap a boat and not incur some type of mold or mildew. Buckets of Damp-Rid will fill up in short order on any covered boat in Florida. Mine did. I had a tight fitting waterproof cover on a non-Boston-Whaler boat, It was a constant battle with mold and mildew. Some people will placed an oscillating fan on the deck. As noted a solar-powered ventilator may also work.

You are probably trying to protect the boat from the sun hammering down on the fiberglass. After trying a few different things over the years I made the decision to just use the console, leaning post, and front cooler canvas cover on my 210 Montauk. I make sure to clean and apply a premium wax with good UV protection, like Meguiar's M6332 Premium Marine Wax, a few times a year. So far I am happy with the decision to not cover the boat.
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 am

Our boats are located on the Alabama Coast and the climate is similar to that of Southern Florida. We cover our boats year round with Sunbrella on one and Sundura on the other. Until this Spring the boats were stored outside year round. I had a minor mold problem under the Sundura cover but after adding vents per the advice of Carver, the cover maker, that problem was eliminated. The Sunbrella covered boat has not had any mold problem even without vents but it's a Sport 13 which may help.

I believe a good fabric cover is superior at preventing mold than is a sealed plastic cover in a hot, humid, sunny environment. A good fabric cover, over time, is a much less expensive alternative to wrapping a boat each year and more effective. It an also be used during the boating season to protect a boat from the damage caused by UV rays.
Butch

Billp

Postby Billp » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. Definitely staying away from the shrink wrap.