Sources for Fiberglass Gunwale Replacements for c.1986 OUTRAGE 18

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Tight line

Sources for Fiberglass Gunwale Replacements for c.1986 OUTRAGE 18

Postby Tight line » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm

I have a 1986 OUTRAGE 18 with teak gunwales. I would like to replace the teak gunwales with fiberglass gunwales. Is there a source for this? Thanks

jimh

Re: Fiberglass gunwales

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:56 pm

You raise two interesting questions. First, I am not clear on exactly what you will find under the teak gunwales on your 1986 boat--maybe the fiberglass gunwales you are seeking are already there.

If the fibgerglass gunwales are actually an additional molded part added to the hull, I am certain they came from molds at Boston Whaler. Boston Whaler policy is to keep the molds for hulls and parts for ten years after they stopped making a model. The 18-foot OUTRAGE hull is still available--I think--from the commercial and government boat division. Perhaps they have the molded parts you need.

I suggest you call Boston Whaler customer service, and ask them about your gunwale change. They can give you the definitive anaswer.

Also, if there are two gunwales, one teak and one fiberglass, that can go on the boat, you could look for another OUTRAGE 18 owner who has the fiberglass gunwales but who wants to change to teak. Then you two could just swap.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Choates Boats (281-802-07560) in La Porte, Texas, specializes in Whaler restoration and makes fiberglass replacements parts for classic Whaler including fiberglass gunwales to replace the old teak gunwales. They also make many other parts including hatches and consoles. They are on facebook and very well known in the community. I am sure they will ship. Their replacement gunwales are very nice.

I have never done business with them before but I have seen their restored Whalers and they are pure eye candy. I really don't know much about the company. Just word of mouth.

Archie

cc378

Postby cc378 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:29 pm

I have dealt with Choates before and they are great. He made all new hatches for the bow area of my Outrage 25. His work is very high quality. No website.