Rage 14 Auxiliary Outboard

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
TheRed1

Rage 14 Auxiliary Outboard

Postby TheRed1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:39 pm

I have 1995 Rage 14 and a 9.7-HP outboard engine laying around that would run for hours on a couple gallons of fuel for slow speed trolling.

Would the RAGE transom need reinforcing for such a lightweight outboard engine?

Would a regular auxiliary engine mount with a metal plate inside be sufficient?

If the swim platform mounts can support a normal sized person, then I think an auxiliary engine bracket through-bolted should be able to support a 35-lbs outboard engine and the 250-lbs of thrust from a 9.7-HP engine-- but I am no expert on transoms so I pose these question to those with more knowledge than myself.

Jefecinco

Re: Rage 14 Auxiliary Outboard

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:50 am

Would the outboard engine under consideration provide superior trolling performance to the existing engine in your Rage? Would it be quieter or emit less smoke? What would be the effect on performance when the Rage is on plane?

From a practical perspective would the aft seating of the Rage permit comfortable speed and steering control of the outboard engine? Would it be convenient to use the outboard recoil starter from the Rage cockpit?

On a small craft such as a Rage I would consider mounting a bow mounted electric trolling motor before installing an outboard engine on the transom.
Butch

TheRed1

Postby TheRed1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:24 am

JEFECINCO's questions are all good.

I was considering [installation of an outboard engine auxiliary] as an alternative to operating the jet drive over shallow grass flats. The OMC engine cooling system also doesn't function well when running long periods at low engine speeds.

I already have the outboard engine. It also has a trolling plate that can be dropped behind the prop to allow me to keep engine speed a bit higher to avoid lugging the motor and fouling plugs at slow speeds, or flipped up for higher speed trolling. For less than $100 I can add a multi-height adjustable motor bracket which would allow it to be brought out of the water when not in use eliminating drag while the jet drive is in use.

I don't anticipate using the outboard to operate the boat at speeds where I would have to worry about being on plane, but with my smart trim tabs adjusted down a notch or two it probably isn't beyond the realm of possibility either. There are even kits available to tie the steering of the kicker motor to the yoke on the jet drive so it could be steered at the center console. You are correct, pulling the recoil might be cumbersome from the cockpit.

Buying a trolling motor with the thrust capable of negotiating tidal currents, a mounting bracket, and a deep cycle battery capable of hours of use is a significantly larger investment.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:55 am

TheRed1 wrote:Butch's questions are all good.

The OMC engine cooling system also doesn't function well when running long periods at low engine speeds.

I already have the outboard engine. It also has a trolling plate that can be dropped behind the prop to allow me to keep engine speed a bit higher to avoid lugging the motor and fouling plugs at slow speeds, or flipped up for higher speed trolling. For less than $100 I can add a multi-height adjustable motor bracket which would allow it to be brought out of the water when not in use eliminating drag while the jet drive is in use.

Buying a trolling motor with the thrust capable of negotiating tidal currents, a mounting bracket, and a deep cycle battery capable of hours of use is a significantly larger investment.

In addition to the above comments made by the OP the trolling motor and battery and accessories will be heavier than the OB which is a big influence in my opinion on such a small boat like the Tage 14.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot